This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014/15 season

sandik - yes that is about right, though I think in recent years we haven't always had four full length ballets.

This weekend I got around to looking at my subscription renewal info. Holy catfish!! The price has gone up by just over $200, for an early bird cost of just under $1000 for the season!!! This is for the 6 programs - one performance each.

speechless-smiley-003.gifspeechless-smiley-003.gifspeechless-smiley-003.gif

Not sure what I will do. I really like my seat - suspect my seating choice is part of the cost problem, but still. An increase of over 20%??

icon8.gif

This sudden increase affects those of us who sit in an area previously "zoned" by NBOC as "section 1.2" but rezoned (without warning to us ) as "section 1.1". Section 1.1 used to be only the seats inside the two aisles, but now NBOC has expanded it to include the first 4 seats or so on the outside of the aisles. I have heard a LOT of complaining about this because, yes, it represents a huge percentage increase in the price of a subscription (which is already pricy compared to just about every other company in North America and indeed the world), and it's a rather cavalier way to treat people who by definition (subscribers in one of the most expensive areas of the house) are among the ballet's most ardent supporters (and many of us make substantial donations on top of that).

Single ticket prices, on the other hand, and all the other sections of the theatre, have increased by only about 5%. And NBOC is now offering 45% off the single ticket prices for all subscriptions on Thursday afternoons. Not much consolation for those of us in the erstwhile section 1.2 who don't go to the ballet on Thursday afternoons.

I intend to write NBOC to complain and I recommend anyone else affected by this do the same. I hear that complaints are already coming in. I doubt it will make a difference but I don't think we should take this sitting down (pardon the pun).

This sounds like what NYCB did a few years ago. They drastically increased the prices in many seating areas, so the only option for those unwilling to pay the new prices were to either move to a different (worse) seating area or stop going all together. I think they lost a lot of subscribers who were not willing to put up with the new pricing system.

NBOC announces casting very close to the program dates…. generally about 2 weeks in advance or so. Therefore not any help when making decisions about subscriptions for next season.

As I always have gone on a Sunday matinee I can sometimes predict who I'll see as Sunday is generally not first cast (and yes I may have an opinion about that too…) However sometimes over the last season or so we have seen some amazing performances. There are some up and coming soloists that I don't get to see enough of, and one that I see too much of.

At Pacific Northwest Ballet, we often see upcoming dancers get a chance at a role in the matinee shows on the second (last) weekend of a run. It can be quite fun -- a bit like trainspotting or birdwatching.

I agree with this idea. I've seen some very interesting casts on Sundays, or even Saturday afternoons. My mother gripes when she doesn't get the "star", but I enjoy seeing the debuts.

further to my season's ticket pricing rant….

I had a call the other night from NBOC while I was cooking dinner. Normally I wouldn't pick up at that time, but figured I had something to say. The man on the other end of the phone was probably taken aback (I think he was calling for donations), but he was very nice. Said he would look into it and call me back. He didn't.

I did tell him that I was not about to make a donation when the price of my season's tickets went up so much, without warning.

Guess I have a couple of weeks to decide before the early bird deadline.

Question: do other big companies have the renewal process so early?

As I remember, NYCB last year announced the entire next season about May 1 and subscription renewals started right away, for a season that opens in September.

Colorado Ballet announced the new season in February at their last big program at the Opera House (the final program is at the University of Denver in late March) and subscriptions were available for renewal at that point, with a deadline of July 1 to keep your seats. Singles will go on sale in mid-July for a season that starts in late September.

RE: another issue on this thread: I read that telemarketers in the US do the solicitations for donations and also subscriptions and keep a big % of the revenue. I always deal directly with companies (via their web sites), so all the money goes to the company. I don't know if that's true in Canada.

RE: another issue on this thread: I read that telemarketers in the US do the solicitations for donations and also subscriptions and keep a big % of the revenue. I always deal directly with companies (via their web sites), so all the money goes to the company. I don't know if that's true in Canada.

This varies from company to company -- if you're concerned, you can ask about the breakdown of the donation, but don't assume that it's all to the bad.

NBOC seems to have a large "corps" of volunteers and staffers for the fundraising. usually very nice people who actually know a lot about the ballet, so one doesn't mind the phone call terribly (though it would be nice if they avoided my dinner hour).