7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

A preview of Central West Ballet by  Marijke Rowland in The Sacramento Bee.

In August, the company received a $110,000 two-year grant to fund more interactive public performances. The James Irvine Foundation is a philanthropic group that funds a variety of causes in California. The grant is the largest the professional dance company has received in its more than 25-year history.

As part of the initiative, company dancers have gone out to public venues and private dance studios to perform, teach and learn from others in the community throughout the year.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Boston Ballet will wrap up its fiftieth season at Lincoln Center.

“This is one of the biggest historic things Boston Ballet has ever done,” Nissinen said of the tour. But he’s confident the company will be received as enthusiastically in New York as it was in London. And he’s not worried about taking Balanchine to New York. “I’m very proud with the way we do ‘Symphony in Three Movements,’ and I’m very happy to take it to Balanchine’s home.”

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

A preview of the Dance on Camera festival by Siobhan Burke in The New YorkTimes.

In his 80-minute documentary, Mr. Vander Veer leads us through the life ofMartha Hill, a behind-the-scenes heroine in American dance history, who founded the influential Bennington School of the Dance in 1934 and, about two decades later, established the dance division at Juilliard. Ms. Doherty, through a more impressionistic, intimate lens, takes us to Havana, where she follows the three-year evolution of a high school class at the National Ballet School, focusing on three characteristically hard-working, gifted students. One film documents an entire lifetime; the other, the daily intricacies of three lives.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

A denunciation of unladylike apparel worn by women attending the ballet by Babe Scanlon in The San Francisco Appeal.

I’m completely confused that people who would spend their time and money on something like the ballet wouldn’t be able to navigate an outfit that took effort but doesn’t make them look like they’re ready for a twenty dollar quickie behind the dumpster.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

A post from the feminist blog Jezebel on Misty Copeland's new ads for Under Armour.

In 2007, Copeland became the third African American female soloist, and the first in two decades, at the American Ballet Theatre. She's also performed alongside Prince — yes, that Prince — in concert during his song, "The Beautiful Ones" and others. I would post a clip but his Purpleness has probably zapped all of them off the face of the Internet. Instead let's just gawk at the muscle definition happening here… 

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Paul Parish in The Bay Area Reporter.

Tomasson uses his galas to make the case that SFB is now one of the major ballet companies in the world, not just by displaying the dancers' world-class skills, but also by bringing in material and dancers from Denmark, London, Paris and Russia who belong to the very top ranks of the ballet world – such as Johann Kobborg, the recently retired principal dancer of London's Royal Ballet (before that, a star with the Royal Danish Ballet), who both a) contributed a piece of his choreography, Les Lutins, and b) partnered our Bolshoi-trained star Maria Kochetkova beautifully in the bedroom scene from MacMillan's Manon, the sort of role at which Kobborg had excelled in his career in London.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Are Ivan Vasiliev and Natalia Osipova phffft?

Could it all be over for Ivan Vasiliev and Natalia Osipova – the ballet world’s best-known romance? The pair, who are thought of as the Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie of the dance world, were engaged to be married, and last year gave a joint interview to i in which they said how much they loved “dancing together”, but I’m now told that they are no longer engaged. When I asked Vasiliev if he missed dancing with Osipova (they are no longer part of the same company), he was evasive.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

Q&A with Jenifer Ringer.

Were you really fired from the company for your weight issues?

The technical phrase would be that my contract was not renewed. But it was really the best thing that could have happened to me. I think if I had stayed…and they were very gracious: They gave me so many chances before they decided not to renew my contract. They really did. I think I would have never healed if I hadn’t been given that kind of kick out the door. I would have stayed in a destructive cycle. So I don’t want it to sound inflammatory that they didn’t renew my contract. It really was what I needed. I didn’t think so at the time. It was devastating. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):