This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thank you for posting the news, sandik. Assuredly we will never see his like again.

Little birdie, little birdie,
Come sing to me your song.
Got a short time to stay here
And a long time to be gone.

What makes you fly so high?
Dissatisfied, dissatisfied
And a-caring never a bit to die.

What makes your wings so blue?
It's nothing else but grieving,
But grieving over you.

Fly down, fly down, little birdie,
And sing to me your song.
Sing it now, while I'm with you,
Can't hear you when I'm gone.

And I've been listening to lots of Rainbow Quest, which is such a sweet collection of folk musicians.

Thanks for the link to the NYT tributes -- it's full of lovely stuff, but I giggled at this, from Arlo Guthrie:

"I also bought my first car from Pete. It was actually his son’s car, a 1957 MGA – the kind Elvis Presley drove in the movies. When I told my mother I was buying it, she said, ‘Arlo, folk singers don’t drive sports cars!’ And I said, ‘Mom, Pete Seeger is selling me this car,’ and there was nothing more she could say."

"Umpteen"? At least. :) Thank you for that link, kfw. I note with pleasure that Bruce Springsteen's appreciation, the first in the list, mentions the name of John Hammond, one of the great behind-the-scenes heroes of American music.

“When Pete was on the blacklist in the early ‘60s, his old friend, the legendary music man John Hammond, came to the rescue and signed him to a Columbia Records contract. In the early ‘70s, the same John Hammond signed an unknown kid from New Jersey to a Columbia record contract. When John died in 1987, both Pete and I were asked to play at his funeral and that was the first time I laid eyes on Pete.

"Umpteen"? At least. smile.png Thank you for that link, kfw. I note with pleasure that Bruce Springsteen's appreciation, the first in the list, mentions the name of John Hammond, one of the great behind-the-scenes heroes of American music.

“When Pete was on the blacklist in the early ‘60s, his old friend, the legendary music man John Hammond, came to the rescue and signed him to a Columbia Records contract. In the early ‘70s, the same John Hammond signed an unknown kid from New Jersey to a Columbia record contract. When John died in 1987, both Pete and I were asked to play at his funeral and that was the first time I laid eyes on Pete.

I think there was an American Masters program (or some other PBS profile) on Hammond several years ago -- I only saw part of it and was still gobsmacked at how much he accomplished.

In memoriam, PBS / American Masters is rebroadcasting "The Power of Song," a film about Pete Seeger. Check your local listings for broadcast times.

You can also stream the film in its entirety here on the American Masters website. I don't know how long they plan to leave it up, so if you're really interested in watching it, don't put it off for too long.

While you're there, you can see what other full episodes are available for streaming here. One of them is "Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance."

Thank you for this thread. I, too, am in mourning over the great Pete, a man of enormous convictions who eloquently and correctly told the House Un-American Activities Committee exactly what to do with their interrogations and black-listings, a man who saved a great river and a humanitarian who knew the power of song to make positive change. I've been listening to so many songs lately, songs I listened to in my youth as a 'folkie' and they resonate now more than ever. Where have all the flowers gone, indeed. Rest in Peace, Mr. Pete Seeger. We will miss you forever.

As a young child in the 60s I grew up listening (and dancing) to Pete Seeger (and others in the same "vein") on LPs and '45s.

I am glad he was around as long as he was and that he kept on singing and saying what needs to be sung and said.

We need more like him.

-d-