17 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,834 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

The Milwaukee Ballet and its apprentice troupe present new works this month.

First things first. This will be the third concert at South Milwaukee by Milwaukee Ballet II. MBII offers outstanding young dancers from five continents experience with a professional company. In last year’s SMPAC concert, the group nailed the tricky steps set to Gershwin songs from George Balanchine’s sparkling Who Cares?, as well as new works and classical pieces that would challenge the best professionals. Many current Milwaukee Ballet dancers arrived through MBII; some I saw first in South Milwaukee.

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,834 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

"Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake" comes to Dublin as part of an international tour.

And backs do break. The company brings a physiotherapist on tour with them. Two principal dancers, tonight Chris Trenfield and Anjali Mehra, come every night and stay until it is obvious that there will be no injured dancers to replace. Tonight, the prince is taken off at the end of the first half, and replaced by an understudy. This is exactly how Trenfield started his career as the Swan, in 2009: replacing an injured colleague.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Q&A with Mayara Pineiro of Milwaukee Ballet by Gia Kourlas in Time Out New York.

When did you start competitions? 
My first competition was in 2007. Actually, when I was in elementary school, I won a competition, but it’s not in the film. It was an international competition two years before, and I won third place and nobody expected that. Only four girls from my class were able to go to the competition. I didn’t expect that either. [Laughs] I was surprised. I guess I was 14 years old, and [after that] I got big with the whole school, the whole country, and it was really a surprise for me. That was my first competition. And when I was in the National Ballet School of Cuba, I won the silver medal. But in that one, I was really secure in what I was doing, and my teacher, Martha Iris Fernández, worked with me very hard.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):