• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thanks, rg, I seemed to have missed the information that Lost Illusions is a remake of a Soviet era ballet.  I'm glad to know this now.  Balzac, for some reason, always was a favorite of the Soviets, possibly because his humans are so strongly controlled by economic circumstances ("material conditions," as Marx puts it).  So, with Balzac, you can have sex, despicable rich people, gorgeous sets, and the glamour of wealth and power (ultimately false and destroying), all of it consistent with Marxian analysis.

Yes indeed...Marx and Engels were themselves big fans of Balzac, making him completely legit for the Soviets.

#17 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

This may not mean anything at all, but in the first of their two scheduled performances the film cast of Vishneva-Lantratov-Shipulina has been replaced by Stashkevich-Lopatin-Meskova. So for the moment Anastasia Stashkevich is dancing Coralie four days in a row, and there will be no backup footage of Vishneva et al.

This young ballerina caught my attention for her performance in La Fille Mal Gardee, the YouTube version. Then, I was very impressed by her Adeline on stage in Flames of Paris last summer at ROH. I just wish her my best. Four days in a row!? If she made it successfully, she is equal to an Olympic Gold medalist! Would she be promoted to a Principle?

flowers.gif

It seems to me that the casting of Lost Illusions was screwed up this time, from beginning. I don't know if Ratmansky is happy with that or not. I am afraid he would not like come back to Bolshoi soon in the near future. 

innocent.gif

Hope, just hope, that Ratmansky would like to make a ballet WAR & PEACE with Bolshoi.

tiphat.gif

#18 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

#19 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

the following has come in regarding NYC showings of LOST ILLUSIONS, obviously not live:

It is confirmed that Village East Cinemas will screen Lost Illusions on the following dates/times:

Saturday, 3/1 at 12:00pm and Thursday 3/6 at 7:00pm
$20 tickets
Address of the theater:
189 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003
(212) 529-6998

#20 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Who else saw the broadcast? I loved the ballet. I thought Lantratov and Vishneva were fabulous (the former especially in those wonderful solos). I also liked the costume and set designs.

#21 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Who else saw the broadcast? I loved the ballet. ......

Maybe, many ballet goers were disappointed with Bolshoi's casting mess and didn't go?  dunno.gif

Anyway, I did. I was the only one audience in that showroom. Bolshoi should feel proud to have a loyal ballet-goer like me!  tiphat.gif

(more later.)

#22 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Lost Illusions doesn't sell well in Moscow either. Tickets to the performance were still available even last week. The You Tube stream in Russia averaged 700-750 viewers at any given time. Some past Bolshoi streams have had tens of thousands of viewers.

I'm not inclined to see it again. The music--amorphous and un-rhythmical--is its fatal flaw.

#23 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

It was quite well attended in downtown Toronto. Not as many as for Giselle, but about the same as for Jewels, maybe 80 people in the cinema I was in.

#24 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

I am always wondering why Bolshoi and Ratmansky picked up Balzac's Lost Illusions for ballet. Didn't they try Tolstoy's "War & Peace", or Ethel Lilian Voynich's "The Gadfly"? 

I got an answer for my question. During one of the intermissions K. Novikova said that the original ballet scenario was done by Vladimir Dmitriev. Because he thought Balzac's Lost Illusions was relevant to his own life experience, that is why the ballet was made. Did she read my post to ask WHY Bolshoi made this ballet? -- That is the best part in Bolshoi's broadcasting of yesterday!

yahoo.gif

I almost gave up this show. In the night before the show I watched a clip from performance of Jan. 31, I simply felt sleepy in few minutes. But, I was wishing some miracle would happen, my desired dancers would finally show up.

OK, Bolshoi didn't disappoint me 100%. Finally, Vishneva flew in, at least, ...

I enjoyed the ballet. (I wasn't sleeping at all!) I love to watch Diana dancing, her performance is always thoughtful. Lantratov threw himself into the role of Lucien. The story was told clearly with mime and dancing. The set designer made the bandits/peasants in Act III look like coming out from Millet's painting, sweet!

However, IMO, there is little entertaining in this ballet, that is from Florine's Fouetté on table; but no touching story. The drama was not built up emotionally. I even consider BOLT is a better drama ballet, although Ratmansky said: BOLT is unfinished. Denis Savin is an excellent actor. In BOLT(DVD) he puts life into the role of Denis. Savin's performance, like a movie star, was very impressive.

flowers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):