This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Lost Illusions Broadcast casting

Casting for the live broadcast of Ratmansky's Lost Illusions from the Bolshoi, Sunday February 2:

Lucien, a young composer Vladislav Lantratov

Coralie, Paris Opera danser Diana Vishneva

Florine, Paris Opera danser Ekaterina Shipulina

The First Danser (Youth, Robber's Leader) Artem Ovcharenko

Camusot, a banker, Coralie's patron Yegor Simachev

Duke, Florine's patron Alexander Fadeyechev

Berenice, Coralie's servant Anna Antropova

Friends to Lucien Chinara Alizade

Yuri Baranov

Yegor Khromushin

Anna Rebetskaya

Ballet Master Yan Godovsky

Director of the Theatre Ilya Vorontsov

In the ills of Bohemia Ballet

A Servant Anastasia Vinokur

In the ills of Bohemia Ballet

Coachman Vasily Zhidkov

Thanks for the casting. Does anyone know if this is going to start at 10AM in New York, like the recent Jewels broadcast.

At the moment it appears that neither Lost Illusions nor Marco Spada will be seen live in New York, though they are scheduled to be screened at Lehman College in the Bronx about a month later.

Is this a problem of the distributing firms? Down here in south Florida, Emerging Cinemas -- which distributes the Bolshoi films -- doesn't seem to have developed a strong theater network. Jewels last Sunday was available only in one small cinema in my county, or at least as far as I could tell after time-consuming internet searches. On the other hand, the Royal's Giselle -- distributed by Fandango, which also distributes Met HD/Live down here and therefore already must have a large mailing list -- got good theater placement in two multiplexes, theaters which already do a good business with Met HD/Live. One's less than two miles from our house! (Performance time here is 7:00 Monday evening.)

Getting back to Lost Illusions: it will be great to see Vishneva again. Also, I'm a Balzac fan, so am very much looking forward to what Ratmansky was able to preserve from the complicated and dense story lines and vast cast of characters in Lost Illusions. Based on the cast list, he seems to have deleted two of the most important characters in the novel, a best friend and his sister who represent the good influences that are a big part of his early proviincial life but then are dropped by him when he hits Paris. The original Lucien is an aspiring poet who turns into a literary hack. It probably makes more sense presenting him as a composer, as Ratmansky does, since there is little visual or musical interest in watching someone miming scribbling at his desk.

I have been doing some homework for ballet Lost Illusions and looking forward to seeing it, because this ballet is so mysterious to me. innocent.gif

IMO, ballet, especially classical ballet is an art to tell simple stories by leaving time and space for colorful entertaining dances. To tell complicated and confused stories is movie's job, in which people can talk, use close-up cinematography, even technical/special effects, …. I am really curious to see how Ratmansky "blends thwarted love, ambition and disillusionment with 19th century Paris as a backdrop" in ballet.

I had read many Balzac's novels, including this one - Lost Illusions, when I was very very young. I like Balzac's stories in his La Comédie Humaine, but I got lost in his "Lost Illusions" thoroughly. I was too young, too simple and naive, lack of life experience to know the complexity of human nature.

I used google-translation to read reviews from newspapers and other forums. It seemed that Ratmansky’s Lost Illusions didn't get "warm acceptance" at Paris during Bolshoi's tour two weeks ago, especially for this couple of stars going to be in Bolshoi's broadcasting.

I will try my best to drive another 1.5 hours to see ballet Lost Illusions on HD screen, if the weather is cooperated. My driving of last Sunday for Bolshoi's Jewels was so hard that was in complete darkness, PLUS heavy fog, ……

I am always wondering why Bolshoi and Ratmansky picked up Balzac's Lost Illusions for ballet. Didn't they try Tolstoy's "War & Peace", or Ethel Lilian Voynich's "The Gadfly"? The Gadfly was extremely popular in Soviet time. Voynich was living on copyright paid by Soviet in her late years. The music in movie The Gadfly was composed by Shostakovich! That is so beautiful and magic. IF he would have made another ballet music, …… wub.png

i'm not sure if this point has made already on this site, but if not, f.y.i. Ratmansky's LOST ILLUSIONS is another of his remakes of earlier earlier soviet ballets, in this case a 1936 ballet by Zakharov with music by Asafiev, created ostensibly for Ulanova, who danced the leading role of Coralie.
NYPL cat. listing for the ballet's '36 credits:
Lost illusions: Original title: Utrachennye illiuzii. Chor: Rostislav Zakharov; mus: Boris Asaf'yev; lib: Vladimir Dmitriev after Balzac's Les illusions perdues; scen: Vladimir Dmitriev. First perf: Leningrad, Kirov Theater, Dec 31, 1936, Kirov Ballet (Company)

Thanks, rg, I seemed to have missed the information that Lost Illusions is a remake of a Soviet era ballet. I'm glad to know this now. Balzac, for some reason, always was a favorite of the Soviets, possibly because his humans are so strongly controlled by economic circumstances ("material conditions," as Marx puts it). So, with Balzac, you can have sex, despicable rich people, gorgeous sets, and the glamour of wealth and power (ultimately false and destroying), all of it consistent with Marxian analysis.

this just in from the press rep. (no further information beyond what's stated here.)

f.y.i.

<<

Without warning or notice to either Pathe Live or Emerging Pictures, BIG Manhattan Cinemas, the Manhattan venue for the LIVE HD performances of the Bolshoi Ballet, closed its doors at the end of last week.

Though a strenuous effort was made, no Manhattan venue could be equipped with a server/satellite in time to make this Sunday’s broadcast of “Lost Illusions” possible.

While the LIVE HD broadcast will proceed as planned in other venues across the country, it will not be available in Manhattan.

The March 30th broadcast of the Bolshoi’s production of “Marco Spada” is on track and, by then, a Manhattan venue should be fitted out with the necessary equipment.

>>

I guess Symphony Space was unavailable or uninterested.

The ballet will be shown in the U.S. at 50+ Carmike Cinemas locations. http://www.carmike.com/Showtimes/movie/3133 In addition, Ballet in Cinema says it will be screened live or same-day at The Screen in Sante Fe, Boedecker Theater in Boulder, three Harkins Theatres locations in Arizona, The Crest in Los Angeles, Movies of Delray (Beach, FL), Regency Theatres - South Coast Village, Pickford Film Center in Bellingham, WA, Tropic Cinema in Key West, Rose Theatre in Port Townsend, WA, Silverspot Cinema in Naples, FL, Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center in Newport, RI, Baxter Avenue Theaters Filmworks in Louisville and the Bryn Mawr Film Institute.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502160249901014&set=a.423030444480662.1073741828.411880005595706

NO Bolshoi ballet HD-broadcast in theaters on Manhattan? That sounds bizarre! I am wondering why ...... innocent.gif

One thing I have noticed is that some of the movie theaters, where I am used to seeing the artistic movies, foreign movies and etc., are really small and old. They may not have the modern digital HD trans equipments or capital to offer the show. However, the theaters that have the high-tech equipments may not be interested in ballet. Hm, What the hell is that? Ballet Lost Illusions? Never heard of this! …… dunno.gif

This may not mean anything at all, but in the first of their two scheduled performances the film cast of Vishneva-Lantratov-Shipulina has been replaced by Stashkevich-Lopatin-Meskova. So for the moment Anastasia Stashkevich is dancing Coralie four days in a row, and there will be no backup footage of Vishneva et al.

Thanks, rg, I seemed to have missed the information that Lost Illusions is a remake of a Soviet era ballet. I'm glad to know this now. Balzac, for some reason, always was a favorite of the Soviets, possibly because his humans are so strongly controlled by economic circumstances ("material conditions," as Marx puts it). So, with Balzac, you can have sex, despicable rich people, gorgeous sets, and the glamour of wealth and power (ultimately false and destroying), all of it consistent with Marxian analysis.

Yes indeed...Marx and Engels were themselves big fans of Balzac, making him completely legit for the Soviets.

This may not mean anything at all, but in the first of their two scheduled performances the film cast of Vishneva-Lantratov-Shipulina has been replaced by Stashkevich-Lopatin-Meskova. So for the moment Anastasia Stashkevich is dancing Coralie four days in a row, and there will be no backup footage of Vishneva et al.

This young ballerina caught my attention for her performance in La Fille Mal Gardee, the YouTube version. Then, I was very impressed by her Adeline on stage in Flames of Paris last summer at ROH. I just wish her my best. Four days in a row!? If she made it successfully, she is equal to an Olympic Gold medalist! Would she be promoted to a Principle?

flowers.gif

It seems to me that the casting of Lost Illusions was screwed up this time, from beginning. I don't know if Ratmansky is happy with that or not. I am afraid he would not like come back to Bolshoi soon in the near future.

innocent.gif

Hope, just hope, that Ratmansky would like to make a ballet WAR & PEACE with Bolshoi.

tiphat.gif

the following has come in regarding NYC showings of LOST ILLUSIONS, obviously not live:

It is confirmed that Village East Cinemas will screen Lost Illusions on the following dates/times:

Saturday, 3/1 at 12:00pm and Thursday 3/6 at 7:00pm
$20 tickets
Address of the theater:
189 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003
(212) 529-6998

Who else saw the broadcast? I loved the ballet. ......

Maybe, many ballet goers were disappointed with Bolshoi's casting mess and didn't go? dunno.gif

Anyway, I did. I was the only one audience in that showroom. Bolshoi should feel proud to have a loyal ballet-goer like me! tiphat.gif

(more later.)

Lost Illusions doesn't sell well in Moscow either. Tickets to the performance were still available even last week. The You Tube stream in Russia averaged 700-750 viewers at any given time. Some past Bolshoi streams have had tens of thousands of viewers.

I'm not inclined to see it again. The music--amorphous and un-rhythmical--is its fatal flaw.

I am always wondering why Bolshoi and Ratmansky picked up Balzac's Lost Illusions for ballet. Didn't they try Tolstoy's "War & Peace", or Ethel Lilian Voynich's "The Gadfly"?

I got an answer for my question. During one of the intermissions K. Novikova said that the original ballet scenario was done by Vladimir Dmitriev. Because he thought Balzac's Lost Illusions was relevant to his own life experience, that is why the ballet was made. Did she read my post to ask WHY Bolshoi made this ballet? -- That is the best part in Bolshoi's broadcasting of yesterday!

yahoo.gif

I almost gave up this show. In the night before the show I watched a clip from performance of Jan. 31, I simply felt sleepy in few minutes. But, I was wishing some miracle would happen, my desired dancers would finally show up.

OK, Bolshoi didn't disappoint me 100%. Finally, Vishneva flew in, at least, ...

I enjoyed the ballet. (I wasn't sleeping at all!) I love to watch Diana dancing, her performance is always thoughtful. Lantratov threw himself into the role of Lucien. The story was told clearly with mime and dancing. The set designer made the bandits/peasants in Act III look like coming out from Millet's painting, sweet!

However, IMO, there is little entertaining in this ballet, that is from Florine's Fouetté on table; but no touching story. The drama was not built up emotionally. I even consider BOLT is a better drama ballet, although Ratmansky said: BOLT is unfinished. Denis Savin is an excellent actor. In BOLT(DVD) he puts life into the role of Denis. Savin's performance, like a movie star, was very impressive.

flowers.gif