This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet Giselle with Osipova & Acosta

Peter Wright's production Giselle will be broadcast live to cinemas from the Royal Opera House on Monday, January 27. In the U.S. and Canada screenings will be delayed until 7:00 p.m. local time. The Royal Ballet has made a trailer with footage from its last broadcast of Giselle with Marianela Nuñez and Rupert Pennefather, though this next version is to star Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta. The page linked below also includes a search box for finding nearby screenings.

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/giselle-2014

U.S.: http://www.fathomevents.com/event/giselle

Canada: http://www.cineplex.com/Movie/Giselle--Royal-Opera-House-Live--FRCE-Dance

I'm also excited about this - already have my tickets! And finally there seems to be a movie theater in the area of Boston covered by mass transit broadcasting ballet - first time I've found a theater I could go to.

I also want to point out that this production has been getting rave reviews in the London papers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/10582445/Giselle-Royal-Ballet-Covent-Garden-review.html

The Royal Ballet has posted PDF versions of programs in multiple languages. They provide additional casting:

Hilarion: Thomas Whitehead

Wilfried: Johannes Stepanek

Berthe: Deirdre Chapman

Duke of Courland: Christopher Saunders

Bathilde: Christina Arestis

Leader of the Hunt: Alastair Marriott

Pas de six: Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zuchetti

Francesca Hayward, Luca Acri, Yasmine Naghdi, Marcellino Sambé

Myrtha: Hikaru Kobayashi

Moyna: Elizabeth Harrod

Zulme: Akane Takada

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/giselle-2014

The cameras were in on Wednesday which means there will definitely be a DVD. I'm looking forward to the discussions here after the broadcast. Osipova gave a very different performance compared to the one I saw her give with the Bolshoi a coule of years ago, but perhaps the spontaneous nature of her dancing means you will see something different again from what I saw on Wednesday. I'll just say she did something very unusual in the first act hops-on-pointe solo.

Recently few of the Royal Ballet's HD broadcasts have been released on DVD, primarily because the company has been repeating repertoire already available. This season it is filming its third Giselle, third Sleeping Beauty and fourth Nutcracker in less than a decade. Over the past couple of seasons it has filmed duplicate versions of Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet (available on DVD because it was released on a different label), La Fille mal gardée and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. My guess would be that a Giselle with Natalia Osipova stands a better chance of being released than most--and by way of precedent, the Opus Arte catalogue includes two separate releases of the RB's Nutcracker, both with Miyako Yoshida's Sugarplum Fairy. But even if it stays off the DVD market, a second night of footage would be useful in preparing this Giselle for a possible television broadcast.

Recently few of the Royal Ballet's HD broadcasts have been released on DVD, primarily because the company has been repeating repertoire already available. This season it is filming its third Giselle, third Sleeping Beauty and fourth Nutcracker in less than a decade. Over the past couple of seasons it has filmed duplicate versions of Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet (available on DVD because it was released on a different label), La Fille mal gardée and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Oh, I hope that they release that Fille -- I thought the performances were really lovely.

Osipova talks about Giselle. Includes rehearsal footage.

"I am very thankful to Peter Wright because he enabled me to rethink my interpretation of this role." -- Natasha Osipova

Very interesting! flowers.gif

I remember she was talking about her own interpretation of this role from beginning in the interview Natalia Osipova, Bolshoi Ballet ‘A role for a lifetime - a conversation after a debut’ by Mikhail Smondyrev.

Curious to see what new interpretation she is going to show us this time. beg.gif

The cameras were in on Wednesday which means there will definitely be a DVD. I'm looking forward to the discussions here after the broadcast. Osipova gave a very different performance compared to the one I saw her give with the Bolshoi a coule of years ago, but perhaps the spontaneous nature of her dancing means you will see something different again from what I saw on Wednesday. I'll just say she did something very unusual in the first act hops-on-pointe solo.

In both Chicago and NY in 2012 she did something unusual with the first act hops on pointe--but what she did was different each time (and both times musical, in character, and done with ease)....

I just got back from seeing this. I'm still new to watching ballet and I'm not as familiar with Giselle as some other ballet fans but this performance moved me more than I expected it to. It made my husband and I cry and I take that as a good sign.

Osipova and Acosta were spectacular and I felt like he and Osipova played beautifully off each other and his mime/acting was superb.

I was very, very pleased and felt like it was well worth the time. I'm looking forward to more discussions about this performance.

If a DVD is going to be released does anyone know how long it will be and where would I look for it?

I went to see this last night and i was thrilled. Since I'm a ballet newbie and this is pretty much my first post, I'll make a few quick observations and would love if anyone could chime in or explain things that i didnt get.

First of all, this was my second Giselle, having seen the Cuban national ballet a couple of years ago. The only thing I remember clearly about the cuban version is how totally creeepy the Willis entrance was: unbelievably fluid bourrés (?) across the stage. Now yesterday, I only had eyes for Osipova and she blew me away. I have watched her a few times on youtube but it was always in jumpy, happy things like Don Q or Coppelia. I was wondering how she would do in something so dramatic... So, first act, she was a jumpy happy girl but she conveyed a frenzied quality, like trying to squeeze happines out of life while she still can. When she danced for Bathilde she ended with a series of turns (tour piqué?) that were unbelievably fast and crisp. Ans speaking of jumpy, next to her, some dancers looked positively clunky!

Second act, when Giselle is summoned from her grave by the Willis, she did a series of jumping turns (no idea what to call them) that werre positively freaky; she looked possessed! Can anyone comment on this? Later, when she danced with Acosta, she was so fluid, and floaty, it sometimes looked as if her arms would come off and just float away on their own and disslove into mist... she looked dead, she looked heartbroken and I was very impressed with dramatic quality. Sometimes she moved very slow, sometimes she was quite still yet it was always very expressive...

I'm very much looking forward to seeing other people's comments on this performance.

If a DVD is going to be released does anyone know how long it will be and where would I look for it?

I couldn't tell you exactly how quickly a DVD will be released because it can vary a great deal. Presumably it will appear on the Royal Opera House's Opus Arte label, and I'm sure as soon as someone spots it going on pre-order at Amazon, that person will make a note of it in the "DVD/VHS/Downloads" part of this forum.