This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet Giselle with Osipova & Acostalive, Monday, January 27

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Peter Wright's production Giselle will be broadcast live to cinemas from the Royal Opera House on Monday, January 27. In the U.S. and Canada screenings will be delayed until 7:00 p.m. local time. The Royal Ballet has made a trailer with footage from its last broadcast of Giselle with Marianela Nuñez and Rupert Pennefather, though this next version is to star Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta. The page linked below also includes a search box for finding nearby screenings.

http://www.roh.org.u...gs/giselle-2014

U.S.: http://www.fathomeve...m/event/giselle

Canada: http://www.cineplex....ive--FRCE-Dance

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Oh interesting -- some of us saw the Bolshoi Giselle in 3D with Osipova -- it will be a great chance to see how she accomodates a new-to-her production

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Oh...I'im in on this one! Acosta is s veteran on the role and has had first hand experience with two of the most heavy, venerable lineage versions out there, Wright's and Alonso's. Osipova has aquired world wide maturity and she's now an older, more experienced ballerina . Can't wait..!!

#4 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

I'm also excited about this - already have my tickets! And finally there seems to be a movie theater in the area of Boston covered by mass transit broadcasting ballet - first time I've found a theater I could go to.

I also want to point out that this production has been getting rave reviews in the London papers:

http://www.telegraph...den-review.html

#5 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

The Royal Ballet has posted PDF versions of programs in multiple languages. They provide additional casting:

Hilarion: Thomas Whitehead

Wilfried: Johannes Stepanek

Berthe: Deirdre Chapman

Duke of Courland: Christopher Saunders

Bathilde: Christina Arestis

Leader of the Hunt: Alastair Marriott

Pas de six: Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zuchetti

Francesca Hayward, Luca Acri, Yasmine Naghdi, Marcellino Sambé

Myrtha: Hikaru Kobayashi

Moyna: Elizabeth Harrod

Zulme: Akane Takada

http://www.roh.org.u...gs/giselle-2014

#6 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Darcey Bussell will host the Royal Ballet's remaining live-to-cinema broadcasts this season.

http://www.roh.org.u...let-productions

I hope she's given a better script this time. Frankly, last time out she was less than stellar.

#7 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

So nice to see the characters names being retained. So for once Zulma and Moyna are not merely "two willis" or Berthe "Giselle's mother". Willfried is usually the most omited one ...

#8 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

The cameras were in on Wednesday which means there will definitely be a DVD.  I'm looking forward to the discussions here after the broadcast.  Osipova gave a very different performance compared to the one I saw her give with the Bolshoi a coule of years ago, but perhaps the spontaneous nature of her dancing means you will see something different again from what I saw on Wednesday.  I'll just say she did something very unusual in the first act hops-on-pointe solo.

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Maybe the cameras were there because of the upcoming HD broadcast.  Have they been releasing the HD Royal Ballet performances on DVD?

#10 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

Some I think but perhaps not all.  It is common practice to film more than one performance in case a corps de ballet member or someone takes a tumble, you get the best of both nights after an editing.

#11 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Recently few of the Royal Ballet's HD broadcasts have been released on DVD, primarily because the company has been repeating repertoire already available. This season it is filming its third Giselle, third Sleeping Beauty and fourth Nutcracker in less than a decade. Over the past couple of seasons it has filmed duplicate versions of Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet (available on DVD because it was released on a different label), La Fille mal gardée and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. My guess would be that a Giselle with Natalia Osipova stands a better chance of being released than most--and by way of precedent, the Opus Arte catalogue includes two separate releases of the RB's Nutcracker, both with Miyako Yoshida's Sugarplum Fairy. But even if it stays off the DVD market, a second night of footage would be useful in preparing this Giselle for a possible television broadcast.

#12 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Osipova talks about Giselle. Includes rehearsal footage.

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Recently few of the Royal Ballet's HD broadcasts have been released on DVD, primarily because the company has been repeating repertoire already available. This season it is filming its third Giselle, third Sleeping Beauty and fourth Nutcracker in less than a decade. Over the past couple of seasons it has filmed duplicate versions of Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet (available on DVD because it was released on a different label), La Fille mal gardée and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Oh, I hope that they release that Fille -- I thought the performances were really lovely.

#14 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hikaru Kobayashi on Myrtha

#15 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Osipova talks about Giselle. Includes rehearsal footage.

"I am very thankful to Peter Wright because he enabled me to rethink my interpretation of this role." -- Natasha Osipova

Very interesting! flowers.gif

I remember she was talking about her own interpretation of this role from beginning in the interview Natalia Osipova, Bolshoi Ballet ‘A role for a lifetime - a conversation after a debut’ by Mikhail Smondyrev.

Curious to see what new interpretation she is going to show us this time. beg.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):