This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi's "Jewels"

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

The foofy tutu skirt that McBride wore make the Paris Opera Ballet ones by Lacroix look sleek.  I had thought that Lacroix had changed precedent, but his are less fussy than the the one in the photo.  i actually like it, although the tunic matches the choreography and music a lot better.

#32 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

f.y.i. the black-and-white version of the photo reproduced in Bentley's Karinska book taken for publicity purposes for the first outings of JEWELS in '67, thus w/ Karinska's original designs.

Attached Files

#33 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

scan of another photo, meant for publicity purposes for a show about Edward Villella, called "A Man Who Dances,"  from the time of the first season(s) of JEWELS, which may have been previously posted on this site.

unfortunately Villella's costume is largely obscured.

f.y.i.

Attached Files

#34 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

scan of another photo, meant for publicity purposes for a show about Edward Villella, called "A Man Who Dances,"  from the time of the first season(s) of JEWELS, which may have been previously posted on this site.

unfortunately Villella's costume is largely obscured.

f.y.i.

Fascinating -- McBride's skirt is quite ruffle-y, but has those tabs that look rather like the contemporary costumes.  Perhaps this is an intermediary stage?

And I love the color logo for "NBC Color Television!"

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

I love the hybrid of the tutu and the tabs.

#36 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Photos 104 and 105 in B.H. Haggin's Discovering Balanchine show McBride (with Villella) in this hybrid outfit.

#37 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):