This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Harlequinadeballet will be 50 next year

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

The Baryshnkov/McBride Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux was recorded in the studio and is on one of the "Choreography by Balanchine" DVD's.  It was excerpted for the Balanchine doc aired on PBS.

#17 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Baryshnikov definitely danced the full of Balanchine's HARLEQUINADE w/ NYCB. i have a house prog. from Nov. 22, 1978, with a note that this was Baryshnikov's debut as Harlequin; Patricia McBride was Columbine,Stephanie Saland, Pierrette, and Denis Lamont, Pierrot.

if mem. serves, it was one of the roles in which he amplified the grand pirouette called for in the choreography with a sauté move, presumably with Balanchine's approval, similarly to the embellishments he added to the choreography for a similar turn in Balanchine's TSCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX. 

for the next season NYCB, McBride and Baryshnikov were pictured on the cover of the house program in their leading HARLEQUINADE roles. (see scan).

Attached Files

#18 ivanov

ivanov

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

That program cover (blown up) is now on display (I believe in the third ring) in the promenade, along with other past program covers.   

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

There's a clip on YouTube of the Harlequinade PdD at the White House with McBride and Baryshnikov. I don't see the little saute in the pirouettes, but he might well have added that in performance in the theater:

The saute that he added in the Tchaikovsky PdD is noted in the little booklet that accompanies the DVD for Choreography by Balanchine-Vol. I:

During the preparation for this particular project, Balanchine turned to Baryshnikov and said casually, "Misha, show me what you do best." Misha showed him turns a la seconde. Balanchine asked, "Can you jump up and down between turns?" Misha could and did, and that is what you see here.

He had previously done that move in Push Comes to Shove in 1976, and I'm pretty sure he did it in the Robbins' Four Seasons in 1979. 

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

I love it when the saute is added to the Tchai pdd.  Woetzel used to do that in Tchai pdd and Four Seasons, and Corella did it at ABT in Tchai pdd.   Most performers cannot do it (or choose not to).

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for the White House link -- I'm always amazed at what people manage to do on that tiny stage!

#22 bobbi

bobbi

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

There is an exquisite solo for the female lead in Harlequinade; in fact, it was the role Patricia McBride "retired" in.  I'm hoping the role goes to the most musical and technically adept of the NYCB female principals.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

I always remember that solo to a piano, but I see from the Kennedy Center video it was to a harp.  The solo was, indeed, the last piece McBride performed at her retirement performance, one of the most gracious gestures I've ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):