This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Harlequinadeballet will be 50 next year

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ivanov

ivanov

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Reading about the mauve Pierrot costume in P.G. Wodehouse's Joy in the Morning reminded me of Balanchine's Harlequinade, and a look at the ballet's Wikipedia page shows that it will be fifty years old next year (and Petipa's Les millions d'Arlequin will be one hundred and fifteen).  Dare I hope that NYCB will revive it as part of the 2014-2015 season?  It has not been seen since 2005...

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

It seems potentially a good role for De Luz...

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Dare I hope that NYCB will revive it as part of the 2014-2015 season?  It has not been seen since 2005...

From your lips to the gods' ears.

#4 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Joy in the Morning is my favorite Wodehouse book!

#5 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

I've only ever seen Harlequinade in 2005 and cannot recall--does NYCB perform it as a full-evening work, or would there be another piece on the program? I realized they've done the one-act Swan Lake quite a bit recently, but I wonder if it might make a nice pairing as a sort of "Balanchine homage to Ivanov/Petipa" evening. 

After watching Harlequinade, I remember feeling as if I didn't want to see another commedia dell'arte character for a long time, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing this piece again, especially with more experienced eyes. I recall the costumes constantly dropped their pom poms all over and the corps members had to deftly kick them offstage. (Not sure if that means a major costume refurbishment would be needed for a revival...) I assume all the dropping pom poms weren't intentional?

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Although I found many reviews that would make it appear that "Harlequinade" is always a stand-along, because no other ballet was mentioned or the subject was only "Harlequinade" (Nancy Dalva's) Mary Cargill wrote a review of a performance on 20 January 2004, when "Harlequinade returned after a hiatus, and "Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2" was the opener:

http://danceviewtime...inter/nycb4.htm

There's also a current offer on amazon for a program with the same two ballets listed as from January 18, 1980.

I've also found reviews where the opener was "Allegro Brillante" (2005), and I think I saw it once paired with "Who Cares?" -- a long evening -- in 2004, but I can't read whether the "Who Cares?" date was November 2004 or January 2004.

Along the way I found a poster of McBride and Villella in "Harlequinade":

http://www.allposter...s_i5173371_.htm

It's like "La Sylphide," which is often paired with another ballet. (In Copenhagen, I saw it with "Etudes" in 2003 and "The Lesson" in 2012, for Thomas Lund's retirement performance.)

#7 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Although I found many reviews that would make it appear that "Harlequinade" is always a stand-along, because no other ballet was mentioned or the subject was only "Harlequinade" (Nancy Dalva's) Mary Cargill wrote a review of a performance on 20 January 2004, when "Harlequinade returned after a hiatus, and "Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2" was the opener:

http://danceviewtime...inter/nycb4.htm

There's also a current offer on amazon for a program with the same two ballets listed as from January 18, 1980.

I've also found reviews where the opener was "Allegro Brillante" (2005), and I think I saw it once paired with "Who Cares?" -- a long evening -- in 2004, but I can't read whether the "Who Cares?" date was November 2004 or January 2004.

Along the way I found a poster of McBride and Villella in "Harlequinade":

http://www.allposter...s_i5173371_.htm

It's like "La Sylphide," which is often paired with another ballet. (In Copenhagen, I saw it with "Etudes" in 2003 and "The Lesson" in 2012, for Thomas Lund's retirement performance.)

Thank you for all of this very helpful information, Helene! 

#8 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

I've only seen Harlequinade once and the one dancer I recall was Deni Lamont  - it's been a little while(!)  don't recall if there was another ballet with it.

#9 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

I've only ever seen Harlequinade in 2005 and cannot recall--does NYCB perform it as a full-evening work, or would there be another piece on the program? 

I saw NYCB's "Harlequinade" in January of 2004. It was performed in two acts with an intermission. The program opened with "Apollo." I remember thinking at the time that "Harlequinade" could easily have been edited down to a single, if longish, act, but I liked it anyway. 

Benjamin Millepied danced Harlequin, Alexandra Ansanelli danced Columbine (she was divine), Joaquin De Luz danced Pierrot, and Amanda Edge danced Pierette. If I recall correctly, De Luz had joined the company not long before, and was still a soloist. 

Oh, and Peter Boal danced Apollo ... 

Edited to add: and just for the record, Sofiane Sylve danced La Bonne Fée and Jennifer Tinsley led Les Alouettes. I think it was one of the first times I saw Sylve, and I remember the experience to this day: her take-no-prisoners authority just blew me away.

#10 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

^ There was a second cast also, I can't remember who was Harlequin but Tess Reichlen was wonderful as La Bonne Fee. She was still in the corps then.

#11 ivanov

ivanov

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

I sometimes feel like I do not give Peter Martins enough credit for the many good things he had done (while I am certain I am, as E.F. Benson says of the character Elizabeth Mapp, "lynx-eyed to see what was done amiss"), so I wanted to say how pleased and happy I am that Harlequinade is being given five performances in the spring of 2015.  Bravo!

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

I sometimes feel like I do not give Peter Martins enough credit for the many good things he had done (while I am certain I am, as E.F. Benson says of the character Elizabeth Mapp, "lynx-eyed to see what was done amiss"), so I wanted to say how pleased and happy I am that Harlequinade is being given five performances in the spring of 2015.  Bravo!

Oh, what a great way to start Wednesday -- with a reference to E.F. Benson!

#13 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well it's Balanchine isn't it, not Martins.  And if I remember right Baryshnikov came back and coached those 2004 performances quietly in rehearsal, or at least paid a visit.  

#14 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

NYCB is doing Harlequinade in the upcoming winter season

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Baryshnikov did the PdD with McBride in the PBS show, "Baryshnikov at the White House," in 1979. I assume he did the complete work during his year with NYCB, but don't know. I also don't know who coached him in it -- Balanchine himself? You can see the complete show at the Dance Collection at NYPL:

http://nypl.biblioco...the_white_house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):