This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

We're taking down the Ballet Alert! website

Dear members and visitors,

I wanted to let you know that Ballet Alert! (www.balletalert.com) has been taken down as of today. NOT the message board, i.e., what you're reading not. But the site that spawned it.

balletalert.com has been dormant for some time -- i.e., no new content has been added -- and the newsletter Ballet Alert! ceased publication quite some time ago. We have retained the URL name, but there will be no website.

My most sincere thanks to all readers, and contributors, and espeically Marc Haegeman for the beautiful cover photo.

Alexandra

Oh my goodness -- that was a scare!

I appreciate your need to do some reorganizing, but I do hope that the content finds a home. The tricky thing about the publication world's gradual transition to an online archive is the lack of "libraries" -- we are all our own best archivists. But that puts another layer of responsibility onto a group of people who are already doing many things for love -- it's not really a fair bargain.

We're all of us extremely grateful for this playground, and the other places you've founded and maintained. I know that most of us will really only be users rather than owners, but we are so glad that there are those of you who are willing to do that set of tasks.

If anyone needs to see the site in its original format, you can access it through the Wayback Machine here

Sandik, thank you so much for your kind comments. (And I'm sorry for those who found the title scary. Any news about this website would be on About the Site, if that helps! (Not meaning to imply that any is being planned!)

sandi, the demise of libraries is very scary. I keep thinking it must have been like this among the bards back at the time of the invention of the printing press. "Who would want to read, when they could listen to us?" they would have said.

sandi, the demise of libraries is very scary. I keep thinking it must have been like this among the bards back at the time of the invention of the printing press. "Who would want to read, when they could listen to us?" they would have said.

And we lost something special when we lost those people. But I'm a greedy girl -- I want all of it!

There's a lot of history involved. This discussion board was originally named "Ballet Alert!," then it changed to "Ballet Talk," and then back to "BalletAlert!". There were two websites, ballettalk.com and balletalert.com. balletalert.com was the online presence of the now-retired quarterly print publication, "Ballet Alert!, just as danceviewtimes.com is the online presence for the quarterly print publication "Dance View." It is the balletalert.com archival site to which Alexandra refers.

When we became a hosted site, our URL changed from ballettalk.com to ballettalk.invisionzone.com, and when we changed our name from Ballet Talk back to Ballet Alert!, our URL changed to balletalert.invisionzone.com. Our host and software provider very kindly allowed us to keep ballettalk.invisionzone.com as a redirect to this site. Until a few years ago, we kept ballettalk.com for email and a redirect page to here. Once we changed to gmail for our correspondence, we disabled the site altogether. If you go to that URL now, you will see that it directs to a holding page and is available.

I'll always be grateful to the original Ballet Alert, which I stumbled upon by accident during a Google search long ago. . It's perceptive and articulate pieces helped me so much at a time when my love of ballet was waking up from a long slumber.