This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I thought Amy Poehler and Tina Fey did a very good job, but there was one joke about Leo DiCaprio that I thought crossed the line. Leo seemed to be amused, but I didn't think it was appropriate.

I think Cate Blanchett was the best dressed. Elegance, style, beauty.

I thought Amy Poehler and Tina Fey did a very good job, but there was one joke about Leo DiCaprio that I thought crossed the line. Leo seemed to be amused, but I didn't think it was appropriate.

I read some of the commentary last night, and saw that joke. I agree, it was pretty raw, but I thought perhaps it might be one of those jokes that doesn't sound as edgy as it reads, but apparently not?

No, it was pretty creepy. My first thought was, "I hope Tom Brady is watching game film." DiCaprio seemed embarrassed. If Tina Fey wasn't a woman she'd be getting tougher criticism for it, I'm sure. For anyone curious, the joke and related information on Leo's love life are here. On a Comedy Central roast it would have been fine (and the less cautious phrasing it would have received there would might even have made it funny). As it was the joke was crude and only that. The Golden Globes are more relaxed than other network awards show, but not that relaxed.

One of my perennial peeves relates to the winners who come up to the stage and say, "Hully gee, I wasn't expecting to win, so I don't have a speech," and then ramble on until they strike up the music. You got nominated, prepare a little something, it won't destroy your (probably nonexistent) reputation for modesty. There were a lot of those this year. Usually British actors not named Winslet are concise and graceful, but Jacqueline Bisset proved an unhappy exception to the rule. I thought perhaps her meds might have interacted badly with the champagne. At any rate I hope they did. Bisset also unloaded a four-letter word that the censor couldn't stop in time.

Frocks were mostly safely conservative sheaths, although Sandra Bullock dared to be a little different.

The Golden Globes tend not to be overly reliable predictors of the Academy Awards as the people who run it are reputed to be open to the highest bidder, which is the only reasonable explanation for some of their choices. The split of the difference giving 12 Years a Slave the best picture nod and Alfonso Cuaron best director may be one, though.