This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can't speak about geo-blocks internationally, but in my neck of the woods it's possible to watch a complete performance--all 4.5 hours of it--of Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach, filmed yesterday at the Théâtre du Châtelet in the original production by Robert Wilson, with choreography by Lucinda Childs. Apparently, it's the first time the work has been filmed and broadcast.

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/einstein-on-the-beach-au-theatre-du-chatelet-146813

I listened for a couple of hours, and saw about 30 minutes interspersed, including a bit of a group dance. I was more impressed by the staging than the dancing, but be prepared for a lot of Glass. The good news is that it will be up for a number of months, and you can watch it in chunks.

Yes, I watched it live yesterday, but I have to be honest and say I wasn't always paying attention that closely (and that I kept turning the volume down as the piece progressed). But since the premiere the audience has been allowed to come and go during the performance, so I was no different.

Thanks so much for the link -- Einstein is so representative of its time, and that long-duration aesthetic. I've listened to it straight through several times, but hardly ever sitting still for the whole thing. For me, there's so much potential for movement in the rhythm I find it hard to stay seated.

Some people maintain that performance art cannot be restaged, but Robert Wildon's work is not of that genre I think... It was too staged to begin with to not survive restaging. But, is a film remotely the same thing as being in the space? Seems like coming and going from a room is very different, just as staring at a screen for several hours would be much harder than staring at a stage. Did they shoot it in 3D by any chance?