This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tuesday, January 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

A New York Times story on the changes recently announced for the Trey McIntyre Project.

The change, the company said, is an expression of Mr. McIntyre’s expanding interests outside choreography. Last year, he undertook a photography project in a partnership with the Society for Wilderness Stewardship and the United States Forest Service. Mr. McIntyre also undertook a successful Kickstarter campaign to raise money for “Ma Maison,” a documentary about the troupe’s collaboration with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band that will have its premiere next season. And as a writer, he contributed an essay to “When We Were Free to Be” (University of North Carolina Press).

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Q&A with Nicolas Paul by Patricia Boccadoro for Culturekiosque.

The success of the work was hardly surprising as Nicolas Paul, now aged 35, has been making a name for himself as a choreographer of quality for some time with his original, inventive ballets.

"I don’t really remember when I first began making up movements", he reflected. "All I know is that I was very young, not even 10 or 11, but I was nearer 20 when I began creating pieces which one could call choreography. And then my first works were performed with dancers from the opera, an enormous advantage for any choreographer as they are so adaptable. Melanie Hurel, Bruno Bouché and Jean-Christophe Guerri, who interpreted my first piece, understood what I wanted immediately.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

A feature on ballet-themed fitness programs by Katie Colombus for The Stage.

But there are classes all over the place at the moment, capitalising on the above kind of workout. My local gym runs an Xtende Barre class, a sort of fusion of pilates, ballet and aerobics. The idea is that: “If Pilates sculpts your body, Xtend Barre chisels it.” There’s lots of plies, jumping, demanding repetition of dance-based moves at the barre and in the centre focusing on different body parts, sometimes using added weights. It certainly feels like it’s burning the calories, and it’s a lot of fun too – there’s girls of all ages in the one I go to, and everyone is smiling throughout.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

The Jacob's Pillow lineup for 2014 is announced.

Jacob's Pillow's 82nd season will feature more than 52 companies performing on three stages -- the historic Ted Shawn Theatre; the intimate Doris Duke Theatre; and the open-air Henry J. Leir Stage, home to the Pillow's free Inside/Out Performance Series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):