This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Years Honours

I am always thrilled when ballet gets some recognition outside the closed ballet community. I hardly believed my eyes when I saw that Carlos Acosta has been created a Commander of the British Empire.tiphat.gif That I can tell you is quite an achievement, OK, Sir Frederick Ashton was one, but he did not get it for dancing, nor did Sir Kenneth Macmillan. They both got their titles for services to dance. Monica Mason was created a Dame a few years ago for services to dance. Another choreographer who became a Dame this year was Gillian Lynne yahoo.gif - she started as a dancer with the then Sadlers Wells Ballet. but soon turned to choreographing musicals - "Cats" is her creation. I remember her well when she came to Madame Nordi for class. It took her quite some time to get this recognition, but better late than never.

I was thrilled too about Acosta's CBE (it was briefly discussed in the Acosta thread under the "Dancers" forum). Anthony Dowell was also named CBE for dancing -- I checked the date and it was in 1973. I believe he was knighted sometime later for his overall career including as Director of the Royal.