This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Program Change Jan 23

I just happen to look at the Calendar for the Winter Season on line. I was so looking forward to seeing Jewels on Jan 23, and bought a subscription that included that date because I wanted to see Jewels. To my considerable disappointment, the program has been changed for the worse. It is now

Kammermusik No. 2

After the Rain Pas de Deux

Concerto Barocco

The Infernal Machine

Rubies

No, it doesn't happen often. Jan 23 is a date when all tickets will be $29 in their effort to entice new audiences. (You could not buy Jan 23 as a single ticket performance, but it was available as part of a subscription.)

I guess they thought that Jewels was too refined and lovely for the new audiences they are trying to attract, so they felt the need to dumb down/"modernize" the program. Personally, Kammermusik is one of my least favorite Balanchine works, and don't even get me started on Martins' Infernal Machine.

NYCB rarely makes changes. Back when there schedule was starting the Winter Season with one week of rep before "Nutcracker" until the first week of January, and then rep straight through the last Sunday in February -- and there were two performances each on Saturday and Sunday -- and then started up again for two straight months from the end of April until the end of June, occasionally a spate of injuries would cancel a ballet. I remember seeing "A Steadfast Tin Soldier" far more times than I wanted when it was swapped in for one (or possible two) other short ballet(s).

They also changed the mixed rep the night of Joseph Duell's suicide to "A Midsummer Night's Dream." He had been cast in the evening's original rep.

Oh dear -- I can easily see why you would be upset. I find the change of rep mystifying even from a "dumbing down" point of view--though perhaps they thought they were making the program more appealing to a young audience by including more modernist and contemporary work. Still baffling, especially since Jewels is a famous and popular work that many people (not just Abatt) may have chosen deliberately even if they were also drawn by the $29.00 price.

I am coming up to NY especially for Jewels the week after...(and some other works including the new Scarlett--but Jewels was the big attraction). I hope they don't change that program too! I think unless I heard that it was due to a plague of unexpected injuries I might even be moved to write a letter of complaint, the "programs subject to change" fine print notwithstanding.