This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wednesday, January 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

A review of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo by Ora Brafman in The Jerusalem Post.

The Nutcracker set to the music of Tchaikovsky is one of the most beloved classical ballets. The story takes place on the eve of Christmas, and is traditionally performed at this time of year. Maillot, like a long line of choreographers in past decades, had opted for an ambitious reconstruction based quite lightly on the original linear narrative and characters, and more heavily on a medley of his own ballets, deploying an innovating dramaturgical approach.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet takes "Romeo and Juliet" on the road.

Lewis says the size and scope of the show is one of the reasons the company doesn’t often take it on tour, which makes its upcoming appearances in the province a special treat.

“It certainly is a challenge; obviously we have a touring history and have the know-how, but still there’s 40-odd people onstage and to carry those people, plus the crew and administration, is a major challenge.”

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

The players in the horn section of the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra talk about the hazards and pleasures of Nutcracker season.

Green says, "It's an interesting challenge to play the same piece that many times. To be honest, the first few hundred were a little tough. I went through phases of boredom and impatience. Since then, however, I've developed a nice sort of groove with 'The Nutcracker.' I kind of drift into a state of relaxed concentration." In the middle of a performance 10 years or so ago, he was playing "when I realized that the music I was looking at didn't match what I was playing." He was, he said, "mindlessly playing from memory (completely by accident). As soon as I realized that, I couldn't remember another note."

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

A review of The Maryinsky Ballet in Ilona Landgraf's blog:

Glitter Globe Classics Plus a Fresh Breeze

The Maryinsky Ballet's end-of-the-year visit to Baden-Baden's Fest­spiel­haus is a long- cherished tra­dition. Usu­ally the com­pany brings its fa­mous clas­sics to the Black Forest and this year too its ho­li­day pro­grams in­clud­ed Kon­stan­tin Sergeyev's ver­sions of “Sle­eping Beauty” and “Swan Lake” as well as a ma­ti­nee mixed bill for fa­mi­lies plus a Ballet Gala on the day after Christ­mas. I caught the gala. Termed in the play­bill "an exhi­bi­tion of the Maryinsky dancers' diverse potential", the gala items ranged from classic bravura to contemporary choreography. Sandwiched between Fokine's “Chopiniana” (“Les Sylphides”) and an Act 3  "Le Corsair" excerpt (“Jardin Animé”) were William Forsythe's “The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude” and the recently premiered “Choreographic Game 3x3” by Anton Pimonov.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):