This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Balanchine's 1958 Nutcracker.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

I think that's just what I like of her characterization..! "Let's forget about the whole children stuff and get down to ballet business.."  happy.png

#32 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

I think that's just what I like of her characterization..! "Let's forget about the whole children stuff and get down to ballet business.."  happy.png

Interesting. I don't read her that way, and I think that would be a very inappropriate and thus unlikely attitude for her to have taken, since the children are at the heart of the ballet's story. What canbelto reads as chilly and aloof and forced, I read as 1950's formal and mannered - not unlike, though to my taste much more pleasing than - June Lockhart's manner as hostess and narrator. It may also reflect what Adams described as her difficulty in letting go and relaxing on stage.

#33 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I thought the camera work was very well done, expansive and panoramic when it needed to be.  I wish modern camera work was so well positioned for ballet. 

#34 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

I tend to think,though,that this is somewhat because of the live performance situation. you can see stagehands here and there wandering in and out of shots, and I had thought she looked as though she was keeping her eye out for a cue or some such thing.

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Funny, that's the performance that made me pick those twenty years as my time-capsule choice.  Different strokes.

#36 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

Oh I like it a lot. But the experience of live ballet on television in a somewhat cramped studio with closeups like that one must have been odd.

#37 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

I think Adams had a bit of bad luck this time.  Of these three dances, her tempos sound the most rushed - "Coffee" doesn't sound rushed at all, though I must say Mitchell looks under-utilized - and as Clifford points out, her dance is "shortened for television," besides.  But I'm glad to have what we have here.  Of the handful of Nutcrackers I've seen, I think Mr. B's remains the best.

(Yes, the camera-work is better than we can take for granted - the 2011 NYCB PBS Nutcracker demonstrates that.)

#38 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

I thought she [Adams] was wonderful -- very light and fairy-like. the tempi are quick, she can never let her weight go back into the heel, since she's got to flit off right away into the next  thing -- but that's what it's like to be a fairy. And i thought she was gracious throughout.

BTW, they were probably dancing on concrete floors.

#39 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

slightly off or on topic here, i rem. when corresponding w/ Arlene Croce about Adams on film as Myrtha in a truncated, studio-filmed GISELLE, that it was worth seeing, even as the performance in question was given "in a broom closet."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):