• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the clips and the discussion. Elizabeth Kendell in Balanchine and the Lost Muse, which I'm just reading, also speculates on the range Balanchine's memory of – and debt to – Fokine ballets.

Also the "snapshot" of Divertimento #15 in 1961 that Clifford posts alongside Nutcracker is pretty amazing – very free and fast and with different accents than today (as Clifford notes). Can anyone tell if Verdy is the third dancer?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Wxfx_TVQgME

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

He was clearly smoking from a hookah. No bong, no joint, no hash cigar.

What movie do the pink elephants come from?

Dumbo!

From the Disney Wiki

"The Pink Elephants are hallucinations that Dumbo and Timothy Mouse have after drinking the champagne that the clowns accidentally drop in Dumbo's water bucket"

Apparently there has been speculation that instead of champagne, Dumbo and his friends were taking LSD

And here is the scene itself

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think I saw "Dumbo" on a black and white TV :)  I didn't remember this scene being caused by drugs that were smoked.  I thought maybe I had forgotten something about "Fantasia."  Thanks sandik!

#19 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

if mem. serves the elephants in FANTASIA are standard-issue gray; it's possible there's a 'drunk' scene, in, maybe DUMBO?, where 'traditional' pink elephants appear.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

and Sandy that's choice, truly FABULOUS!! That girl gets it.

Lily Verlaine is pretty good by itself!

She is indeed a remarkable artist.  This is a recent film -- the editing is a bit busy, so you don't get a sense of her presence on a stage, but you do see some of her gestural work.  (If you're curious, click on through to the "video" page -- there's a very brief excerpt from the Coffee variation in the "showreel" tape)  As I've been trying to learn more about burlesque, I've been really noticing the gestures, and she's been great to watch.

#21 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the clips and the discussion. Elizabeth Kendell in Balanchine and the Lost Muse, which I'm just reading, also speculates on the range Balanchine's memory of – and debt to – Fokine ballets.

Also the "snapshot" of Divertimento #15 in 1961 that Clifford posts alongside Nutcracker is pretty amazing – very free and fast and with different accents than today (as Clifford notes). Can anyone tell if Verdy is the third dancer?

pretty sure the first is carol sumner

#22 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

That clip is just fantastic, isn't it? Clicking on Show More lists the dancers in order of appearance: Carol Sumner, Patricia McBride, (both very young) Jillana, Violette Verdy, Jonathan Watts, and the incredible Patricia Wilde.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

If I had to choose two decades of ballet to take with me to a desert island, despite what I'd miss, I'd choose 1946-1966.  Slicing that into one decade would be a lot harder.

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

If I had to choose two decades of ballet to take with me to a desert island, despite what I'd miss, I'd choose 1946-1966.  Slicing that into one decade would be a lot harder.

Ditto

#25 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

That clip is just fantastic, isn't it? Clicking on Show More lists the dancers in order of appearance: Carol Sumner, Patricia McBride, (both very young) Jillana, Violette Verdy, Jonathan Watts, and the incredible Patricia Wilde.

There's plenty of interest, not to say delight, in watching these valuable old "desert island" videos, but we have another thread where links to old and new Balanchine performances were posted, and it was shut down.  What's changed?  I love this stuff, and I want to share the fun, and see it shared, and so I'm curious.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

We shut down a consolidated thread because it had a big target on its back, and we were not interested in helping the Trust do what it thinks is its job. 

We've never had a rule about posting Balanchine videos:  we've had a reminder at the head of the videos forum that posting them not only targeted the videos for removal, but also that the publisher's entire account could be shut down by the Trust.

#27 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

There has been recent word that many of the CBC Balanchine recordings will be released in 2014 in the same way the recordings of Maria Tallchief and Jacques d'Amboise were. Hopefully some of the recordings we've discussed here and elsewhere will be among them. I am investigating this news.

#28 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

I was aware of that before starting this, and that is why I tried first to show them in the John Clifford's page format-(maybe he can show them..? I don't know).

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

There seem to be some Balanchine-affiliated people whose videos have remained up, including Clifford's.  I'm hoping this is a good sign.

#30 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

The ONLY thing I don't like about the 1958 performance is Diana Adams as SPF. She just seems too chilly and aloof for SPF. Her smile is very forced, like she's the type of person who'd never touch chocolates or hang out with little kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):