This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sleeping Beauty, Jan 31-Feb 2 and Feb 6-Feb 9

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Wevers used to dance both the prince and Carabosse -- Grant could do that as well, I think.

Oh, yes he could.

#17 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think taller is more in character for Carabosse than shorter.

It will be fun to see both tall and short do the role since this highly gesturing and angular role could be "jazzed up" very differently depending on your body type........I'm reminded of the difference in how power forwards and point guards move on the basketball court -- same game but the movements of the 2 positions are very different given the differences in agility and power.

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'm reminded of the difference in how power forwards and point guards move on the basketball court -- same game but the movements of the 2 positions are very different given the differences in agility and power.

Someday we'll have to watch some basketball together and you can tell me what you see -- it's a world I don't understand.

#19 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Someday we'll have to watch some basketball together

Love to.

.......and you can tell me what you see

I can't resist telling a story.  It is at least a partial answer to the above......

As many of you know, I am a hopeless ballet fanatic.....and have been for some 45+ years.  In contrast, for most of my life I had no use for almost any kind of "major" sports.  UNTIL one day, skiing with a buddy at Mt Batchelor in Oregon, we turned on the condo TV while cooking dinner.  There was nothing interesting on, so my buddy asked if I minded if he left the TV tuned to an NBA basketball game (he has the same passionate love for b-ball that I do for ballet).  "No problem", says I.  With his pointing out of this and that, I became mildly interested.

Then came the moment!  A player did a flying dunk.....OK, impressive; but then they did a re-play of that dunk in slow motion.  OMG, in that moment I saw it: the same grace of the human form in motion; the same perfection of these human bodies; the same dedication and unbelievable level of athletic prowess; the same focus on individual performance but within the context of a team; and yes, even a similar artistry.

In that moment, I became an instant NBA fan.  And I chuckle when I think how this "typical American male" was lead to professional basketball (and to professional sports generally) via his love for ballet.  Going the other way, maybe.......but my way?  I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell..........smile.png

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Another casting hint, from a PNB tweet:

http://pnbawesome.tumblr.com/

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

I guess I assumed that Rausch would be rehearsing for this -- she made her debut in the part when they last performed it, in 2010.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Just a reminder that the Coaching SB program at PNB's home studio is tomorrow night (1/16) -- these kind of projects are so illuminating!

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Tonight's "Coaching the Sleeping  Beauty" presentation revealed the four Aurora/Florimund couples;

• Kaori Nakamura and Seth Orza.  Nakamura opened with a slower demonstration version of Aurora's entrance.  She and Orza later performed the Vision Scene Pas de Deux.  Nakamura also subbed in as Carabosse to give Rausch the spindle during the Act I coda, while Boal played the King.
  • Rachel Foster and Batkhurel Bold.  Foster danced Aurora's entrance at full speed, and then she performed the Rose Adagio, with all four men as her suitors.  (She has those balances down.)  Bold also danced the Act II opening variation.
  • Lesley Rausch and Karel Cruz.  Rausch also performed Aurora's entrance at full speed, the Act I coda, the beginning of the Act II variation, and the Wedding Pas de Deus with Cruz.  She also did the Queen mime before the Rose Adagio, with Boal acting as King.
  • Leta Biasucci and Jerome Tisserand.  Biasucci danced the Act I variation, the Act III coda with Tisserand, who danced the Act III variation.  Boal suggested that Biasucci used the detail in her entrance that Pantastico did when she danced Aurora, to peek around a pillar before making her big entrance.

Allan Dameron was the piano accompanist.

Boal gave corrections after each piece or excerpt, demonstrating clearly and precisely.  Some things he mentioned, some in the Q&A that followed, were:

• How great each of the four men were as partners:  they're all also doing the Duke among the suitors, who has the most partnering during the Rose Adagio.
  • The dancers have been working with Ellen Bauer and Otto Neubert.  Nakamura and Rausch worked with Annette Page and Ronald Hynd during the last run, but there was a schedule conflict, and Page and Hynd couldn't be here to work with the Company.
  • The Company has been doing three-hour run-throughs with all four casts, so that the dancers get used to the pacing.
  • In general "Sleeping Beauty" rehearsals started during "Nutcracker," but Rachel Foster and Leta Biasucci, the new Auroras, started working on Act I only this week.  That is amazing considering how well Foster performed the Rose Adagio, especially since Boal mentioned she had already rehearsed it that day.
  • Timothy Lynch and Jonathan Porretta will reprise Carabosse.  Porretta had surgery on his toe and isn't ready for roles like Bluebird, which he normally would perform.  Boal said Carabosse was a great role for him now and that he loves to do it.
  • Carla Korbes is taking class, and they all hope she will be ready for the March rep.

I can't wait to see all of them.

#24 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Leta Biasucci as Aurora!   I'm quite excited (can you tell?)    She is hopping over all the soloists for this opportunity.  If she does well, I anticipate a promotion.  I'll bet she thinks she made the correct choice to jump from OBT to PNB.   

IMHO I'd also like to see soloists Linsdi Dec and Sarah Ricard Orza perform Aurora.  But with only 9 performances it will be difficult to cast all the principals twice and still have room for soloists, 

Angelica Generosa would also make for a lovely Aurora.  We just need more PNB audience members so there are more performances!

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

No Imler and no Chapman as Aurora either sad.png  Imler has done Lilac in the past, and so has Ricard Orza.  I'm hoping Dec gets it, too, this season, but since there are four casts, I suppose that means four Lilac Fairies, and there are a number of dancers who could do the role.  I'd love to see Dec and Grant do Carabosse. I'm guessing that Generosa will get a Fairy or two, and then there's the Pas de Trois in Act III of Hynd's version, as well as Florine and Bluebird and the fairy tale pas.

I'm excited about seeing all of the couples who have been cast.  Casting for first weekend (four performances) should be out on Tuesday.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

First weekend casting is up on the website:

http://www.pnb.org/S...Beauty/#Casting

Four performances first weekend, and all four Auroras and Florimunds get one.  Peter Boal said there were four casts, and it looks like there's one Lilac, Florine/Bluebird, and Gold and Silver trio per cast:

• Jan 31:  Kaori Nakamura and Seth Orza/Laura Tisserand/Leta Biasucci and Benjamin Griffiths/Lindsi Dec, Jerome Tisserand, and Andrew Bartee
  • Feb 1 mat:  Rachel Foster and Batkhurel Bold/Lindsi Dec/Liora Neuville and Eric Hipolito Jr./Angelica Generosa, Benjamin Griffiths, and Kyle Davis
  • Feb 1 eve:  Lesley Rausch/Karel Cruz/Carrie Imler/Carli Samuelson and James Moore/Laura Tisserand, William Lin-Yee, and Joshua Grant
  • Feb 2 mat:  Leta Biasucci/Jerome Tisserand/Sarah Ricard Orza/Jahna Frantziskonis and Ezra Thomson/Elizabeth Murphy, Eric Hipolito Jr., and Price Suddarth.

Maria Chapman and Otto Neubert play the Queen and King.  Jonathan Porretta is Carabosse on Friday and Saturday nights and the Sunday matinee.   Timothy Lynch is Carabosse for the Saturday matinee.

The fairies and divertissement casting isn't strictly split into four casts, and lots of opportunities have been spread around for corps members.

#27 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Beauty has so many parts for up and coming people!

#28 dancinginthesnow

dancinginthesnow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

http://seattletimes....gbeautyxml.html

Kaori Nakamura will be retiring after this season sad.png

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

The press release lists two Nakamura performances as Aurora:  first weekend on Opening Night, Friday, 31 January, and second weekend, Saturday matinee -- 1pm starting time! -- 8 February.

#30 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Casting is up for week 2:

Five performances first weekend; three casts get one, and one cast (Rausch/Cruz) gets two.  Rachel Foster and Batkhurel Bold also dance the condensed "Eyes on Dance" performance at 11:30am on Friday, 7 February.  The Auroras and the Florines keep their partners, but the casts are moved around, and only Rachel Foster dances with the same Lilac Fairy in the regular rep.  (She dances with another Lilac for "Eyes on Dance."

There is also some new second-week casting:  Amanda Clark and Kyle Davis dance Florine/Bluebird, Joshua Grant dances the Lilac Fairy Cavalier, and Chelsea Adomaitis joins William Lin-Yee and Joshua Grant in Gold and Silver.

Aurora and Flormund/Lilac Fairy/Florine and Bluebird/Gold and Silver (trio)

• Thursday, 6 Feb:  Lesley Rausch and Karel Cruz/Laura Gilbreath/Liora Neuville and Eric Hipolito Jr./Angelica Generosa, Benjamin Griffiths, and Kyle Davis

• Friday, 7 Feb:  Leta Biasucci and Jerome Tisserand/Laura Gilbreath/Amanda Clark and Kyle Davis/Chelsea Adomaitis, William Lin-Yee, and Joshua Grant

• Saturday, 8 Feb matinee (1pm start!):  Kaori Nakamura and Seth Orza/Carrie Imler and Joshua Grant/Carli Samuelson and James Moore/Elizabeth Murphy, Eric Hipolito Jr., and Price Suddarth.  This is Kaori Nakamura's last performance of Aurora (at least in the full-length version).

• Saturday, 8 Feb evening:  Rachel Foster and Batkhurel Bold/Lindsi Dec/Amanda Clark and Kyle Davis/Laura Gilbreath, William Lin-Yee, and Joshua Grant

• Sunday, 9 Feb matinee: Lesley Rausch and Karel Cruz/Sara Ricard Orza/Leta Biasucci and Benjamin Griffiths/Lindsi Dec, Jerome Tisserand, and Andrew Bartee

There is a 50% off promo for the Sunday, 9 February performance, the day the Seahawks play the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl [Many Roman Numerals]:

Celebrate the Seahawks AND beautiful ballet with Artistic Director Peter Boal’s amazing ticket offer! 50% OFF tickets to The Sleeping Beauty on Super Boal Sunday, Feb 2 at 1:00!The performance is over at 4:00PM – so if you skedaddle home, you’ll still have time to see the Seahawks win!

This is a very nice deal, especially for families.

This is the solo casting for both weekends:

Attached File  Sleeping Beauty Solo Casting Wks 1-2 2014.xls   37.5KB   14 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):