This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty, Jan 31-Feb 2 and Feb 6-Feb 9

I thought it was interesting that I received a "Thanks for coming to "Sleeping Beauty" email, and here's a discount code for "A Midsummer Night's Dream," when there's another rep, "Director's Choice" in the middle. Peter Boal said in a Q&A after "Kylian + Pite" that the November rep was for the people who wouldn't see "Nutcracker.' Or "Sleeping Beauty," I guess, because there seems to be an assumption that if I liked "Sleeping Beauty," I wouldn't be interested in "TAKE FIVE...more or less," "Kiss," "Heart of Darkness," or the new Cerrudo. (Well, they'd be right about the Stroman.)

This is a video from the last production in 2010, in which Nakamura, Korbes, and imler talk about the role of Aurora, and there's also footage of Mara Vinson.

Only Nakamura performed the role in the this run, but the footage of Imler shows part of why she's such a great Lilac Fairy.

Saw the 2/8 evening performance with Rachel Foster as Aurora and Batkhurel Bold as Prince Florimund, which I really enjoyed. I think some people left early due to the snow, but it looked like seats were at least 80% filled. Here are my brief thoughts:

Prologue -- I thought Lindsi Dec's performance as the Lilac Fairy was good, but needed more presence. I didn't feel as much that she was "in charge." The fairies' solos were generally strong, but Emma Love Suddarth as the Fairy of Beauty looked a little stiff to me. I wonder why audiences usually laugh at the Fairy of Joy's solo? Timothy Lynch's Carabosse was well portrayed.

Act 1 -- Rachel Foster was lovely! She had no problems with the balances in the Rose Adagio -- I think there was one slightly quick hand change but she was capably partnered by Karel Cruz, William Lin-Yee, Jerome Tisserand and Joshua Grant. My only slight criticism of her was that I'm not sure I got the impression that Aurora had just turned 16 and was excited about her birthday.

Act 2 -- Ezra Thompson always seems to do well in character roles, including Gallison. Bold as Prince Florimund was consistent as always in partnering but I feel like we don't always see his character's emotions.

Act 3 -- the kids present enjoyed White Cat/Puss in Boots and Red Riding Hood/Wolf -- heard lots of giggles and laughter. Gold and Silver pas de trois -- Joshua Grant looked comfortable, while William Lin-Yee looked more restrained in his dancing. He had a few balance wobbles coming out of turns. Laura Tisserand's solo was well-executed (I wonder about some of the arm position changes in the ending turns -- seems hard to do cleanly?). Kyle Davis was outstanding as Bluebird -- nice clean jumps and elevation, Amanda Clark did well too. I enjoyed seeing this Foster/Bold pairing for the wedding pas de deux, and thought they complemented each other well.