This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet Director Kevin O'Hare Interview

Stecyk

Bloomberg Video Interview with Kevin O'Hare

Dec. 13 (Bloomberg) –- In today’s “In The Know” segment, The Royal Ballet Director Kevin O’Hare discusses growing the business of ballet by taking the live show and simulcasting it to a global audience inside cinemas around the world. He speaks to Anna Edwards and Mark Barton on Bloomberg Television’s “Countdown.” (Source: Bloomberg)

The Guardian references this interview in the following article Royal Ballet plans reality TV-style live broadcast for 2014].

Earlier this week, Kevin O'Hare, director of the Royal Ballet, gave an interview to Bloomberg TV, discussing the business model of the company's live screenings at cinemas. Much more interesting to ballet watchers, however, were two footnotes to the conversation. One was O'Hare's quiet but firm riposte to the disparaging remarks Carlos Acosta made recently about the lack of dedication among today's young dancers. O'Hare admits on camera that fewer members of the internet generation may be drawn to ballet, at least at first, but insists that those who do have no lack of passion and talent.

Even more intriguing is the comment O'Hare lets slip about plans for a 2014 repeat of the Royal Ballet Live experiment, launched in 2012. Allowing cameras backstage to film classes and rehearsals, this day in the life of the company was streamed live on YouTube and the Guardian website to an international audience that surprised even the company. No date has been announced for the second live broadcast.

Please note that the Bloomberg link in the Guardian ariticle is incorrect; however, I have provided the correct link at the very top of this post.

Even more intriguing is the comment O'Hare lets slip about plans for a 2014 repeat of the Royal Ballet Live experiment, launched in 2012. Allowing cameras backstage to film classes and rehearsals, this day in the life of the company was streamed live on YouTube and the Guardian website to an international audience that surprised even the company. No date has been announced for the second live broadcast.

That was a very interesting project -- I hope they repeat!

Another O'Hare interview:

Here is a man who embraces change, and that might well be a novelty in Royal Ballet directors. But there is one area where he will not embrace change – touring the company around Britain so that more of the people whose taxes fund it can see the dancers live on stage.

"I know you don't agree," he says, "but we're lucky enough to be in this amazing building. Every show in the last eight months has sold out and now we have the cinema programme, 55,000 in the UK for the Nutcracker on screen. If we started going on tour, there's ENB, there's Northern Ballet, it's their remit. And I do hope the cinema relays are encouraging people to go to the live theatre as well."