This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Thursday, December 19

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Alberta Ballet's Joni Mitchell piece is postponed because of Mitchell's inability to select songs for the score.

“She couldn’t whittle it down.… She was distraught because she tried. She worked so hard,” said Jean Grand-Maître, artistic director of the Alberta Ballet, which has postponed the show that was due to open in May, replacing it with a tribute to classic Hollywood musicals. No new date is set.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sylvie Guillem and Akhram Khan perform in Athens with an assist from Tokyo Ballet.

Guillem, who believes that “classical dance is where our roots lie and it is important that we don’t forget this,” will also star in a classical piece in her Athens shows. The dramatic ballet “Marguerite et Armand,” first choreographed in 1963 by Frederick Ashton to music by Franz Liszt for Nureyev and Fonteyn, was for years considered taboo for other dancers until Guillem decided to revive it, first dancing with Nicolas Le Riche and then with Massimo Murru, the primo ballerino etoile of Milan’s famed Teatro Alla Scala.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

A review of Northern Ballet's Cinderella by Louse Levene in The Telegraph.

Cinderella’s dazzling party outfit is matched by a scenic sleight-of-hand, which pimps the kitchen range into a sledge with her name in lights along the side. This splendid first-act closer earns an ecstatic round of applause. But while Duncan Hayler’s flat-pack decor makes for super-smooth scene changes, much of it is sketchy and cheap-looking – the polythene windows of the ballroom look like the business end of an Argos gazebo. The sumptuous sarafans and frock-coats (designed by Nixon with the help of Julie Anderson) seem to have grabbed the lion’s share of the modest, £250,000 budget.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Cincinnati Ballet presents a new Nutcracker.

Even after she became artistic director of Cincinnati Ballet in 1997, it was in the forefront in her mind. She and her colleagues had to piece together a new production in just six months.

By the time she oversaw the creation of an entirely new production, choreographed by longtime friend and colleague Val Caniparoli in 2001, Morgan began thinking it might be time for her to create her own version of the holiday favorite.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

A Royal Winnipeg Ballet Nutcracker photo gallery.

Among this year’s celebrity guests are MP Shelly Glover, Tim Hague Sr., the winner of The Amazing Race Canada, curler Jennifer Jones, whose team will be competing at the upcoming Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia,  local media personality Ace Burpee and Winnipeg Blue Bombers legend Obby Khan.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

A Merry Christmas from Li Cunxin.

The most sacred wishes were for my parents’ health and happiness, an escape from the poverty-stricken life I was born into, and a chance to live a dignified, successful life. I thought that perhaps then I would be able to change my family’s fate. How could I ever have imagined that my chance was ballet? Ballet ignited my passion and has given me great joy, a meaningful career and a successful life. Now, through the work I do at Queensland Ballet, I am able to give something back to this beautiful art form and make a positive difference in our society.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

A knee injury takes Alexandra Cunningham out of the Sacramento Ballet's Nutcracker.

Miss Cunningham's pain was not evident in her opening night performance, but she was well aware of the damage done and knew that continuing without medical intervention could jeopardize her ability to dance again. Kirsten Bloom-Allen, who had plans to come out of retirement to dance the Sugar Plum Fairy was contacted and flew up from San Diego last weekend to fill the void.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

A review of the Joffrey Ballet by Hedy Weiss in The Chicago Sun-Times.

This glittering fantasy world is just one of many notable scenes in the company’s long-familiar Victorian America-designed take on the classic — a production whose long holiday season run brings with it a real fringe benefit — the chance to see an unusual cross-section of the company’s dancers in a slew of challenging roles.

I caught a Sunday evening performance of the ballet, and although the overall momentum of the performance was a bit uneven, there was much to delight in.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

A story on the Fonteyn-Nureyev partnership by Libby Longino for OZY.

The ’60s were a different matter, and Nureyev arrived on the scene just in time to take advantage of the moment, helping to keep ballet relevant and Fonteyn at the heart of it. Having defected to the West from the Soviet Union in 1961, Nureyev had the air of the outlaw about him, while his lacquered hair and heavy makeup contributed a touch of the exotic. But in his dancing he remained scrupulously committed to technique and to the classics. Indeed, it was this old-fashioned devotion combined with the youthful ferocity that helped to make his partnership with Fonteyn so magnetic.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Rachel Malehorn and Marc Petrocci of the Milwaukee Ballet chat about Nutcracker.

Malehorn plays snow, flowers, and a party parent some nights, and is featured as the first and only female Rat King. This came about when she went to rehearsals for parts she wasn't called for as a way of challenging herself. This eventually lead to rehearsals as the Rat King, partly as a joke, partly as competition with the men in the company. The thought occurred to her to play the role in asking a question-

A couple of years ago asked myself, 'Why is the Rat King always the boy?' There's no reason. The audience can't see your face, the costume is kind of one-size-fits-all, I always personally wanted to have a sword on stage, and I always loved being the villain character!

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Mark Monahan and Sarah Crompton's picks for the best and worst in 2013 dance for the Telegraph.

A rare talent: the Bolshoi's Olga Smirnova

Beautiful technique and a pensive presence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):