#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Q&A with Lauren Lovette.

Q. Who was the first person to notice your beautiful dancer’s feet?

A. Kim Maselli. She’s the reason I dance. My aunt owned a dance store in California, and there was a ballet barre. I had my foot up on the barre pretending to do ballet, and she noticed my feet and said, “How about you come and try it for a week and see if you like it — on me?” She offered me a month after that and then a year. There was another instance at Carolina Ballet. I was 12, and a company member told all his friends, “This girl’s got hooks for feet!”

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

A look at the Royal Ballet by Alastair Macaulay in The New York Times.

Since I moved to New York in 2007, I’ve been able to observe the Royal each year in a cross section of its repertory; recently I watched it in London in eight performances in November and December. The company is no longer exemplary from top to bottom. Its corps de ballet, for decades the greatest in the West, has been variable since the 1980s in classical repertory. And whereas its productions of 19th-century classics used to be its cornerstone, leading the world in illuminating style, textual tradition and dramatic seriousness, none of its current ones are good enough. Yet the troupe retains enduring virtues, as you learn from watching its leading dancers. Though few of these are British, they all exemplify qualities of which the British are rightly proud.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

A PBS NewsHour interview with Mikhail Baryshnikov about "Man in a Case." Video and text.

"There's no changing who you are, but you are trying to put yourself in the skin of a character and it affects your delivery of the text, your voice, your body language and this is extremely private ... You have to have a bit of chutzpah."

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Dancer Katelyn Prominski talks about coping with diabetes.

At that count, many diabetics have impaired mental functions. But, as a dancer, Prominski’s fitness level, healthy habits and stubborn streak had enabled her to ignore diabetes symptoms for three years.

“Dancers are stoic, and they tend to push through pain,” said Linda Hamilton, a psychologist who serves on New York City Ballet’s wellness team. That means not only that diagnosing a chronic illness be difficult, but dancers can block their own recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):