Black Female Dancer at New York City Ballet?Who is the African American female dancer at City Ballet?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 swanchat

swanchat

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Taylor Stanley is an AA who rapidly rose to soloist with NYCB and is a fabulous dancer!

ETA: Taylor is male (not sure if the discussion is only about female AA dancers in NYCB)

#17 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

I think it is sad too. There are disproportionately few African American girls in American ballet schools... European Americans mostly with a few Asian Americans, but very very few African Americans. It is Ballet's loss. This is why it is so important for the role models to be seen.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

While it's true that there are still very few black ballet dancers in major companies in the U.S., I'm not sure that the same can be said of dance companies in general (example, modern dance). Alvin Ailey Dance Company, Complexions and Bill T. Jones' Company, are examples.  On the other hand, I can only think of one black dancer in the Paul Taylor company (Michelle Fleet) and none in Martha Graham.   

#19 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

We recently saw the wonderful Joffrey Nutcracker:

http://www.joffrey.c...e/dara-holmes-1

#20 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

Slightly off topic but one of ABTs young african american dancers just received a very nice accolade:

http://nymag.com/new...lvin-royal-iii/

#21 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Aurora.  What a gorgeous photo of him!

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Mel Tomlinson was a soloist at NYCB.

#23 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

http://stream.wsj.co...99/SS-2-406288/

Olivia Boisson is pictured in this article, signing autographs for children at a benefit.

#24 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

This is slightly off topic, given that she dances for Dance Theater of Harlem, but if someone is researching Afro-American dancers, here is a lovely example :

#25 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Of course from the past, Lydia Abarca and Paul Russell who danced for DTH but whom I saw in Ruth Page's Nut as guest Sugar Plum and Prince.

More up to date Michaela DePrince, who has left DTH for Holland I think?

#26 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

Of course from the past, Lydia Abarca and Paul Russell who danced for DTH but whom I saw in Ruth Page's Nut as guest Sugar Plum and Prince.

More up to date Michaela DePrince, who has left DTH for Holland I think?

Yes she has joined Dutch National Ballet's Junior Company

#27 Carl Steeg MD

Carl Steeg MD

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yes, and Mel A. Tomlinson should have been a principal - he was truly unique!! Presently, NYCB's Craig Hall is a soloist who should also be promoted.  Other recent past black male dancers include Henry Seth, Darius Crenshaw, Sam Greenberg, and James (I think that was his first name) Johnson.  There have definitely been more black male than female dancers with NYCB. 

#28 Carl Steeg MD

Carl Steeg MD

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yes, and Mel A. Tomlinson should have been a principal - he was truly unique!! Presently, NYCB's Craig Hall is a soloist who should also be promoted.  Other recent past black male dancers include Henry Seth, Darius Crenshaw, Sam Greenberg, and James (I think that was his first name) Johnson.  There have definitely been more black male than female dancers with NYCB. 

Oh, and I omitted the brilliant Silas Farley who is a recent corps member

#29 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I realize that on the list of really important things, the dearth of active, black, female classical dancers is pretty low.

And it's not as if my wee one doesn't love ballet dancers who happen to be white or Asian.  It's just that we can't resist checking the head shots at major company sites hoping to find  young, black, women who were obviously bitten by the ballet bug at my youngster's age.

Our little one knows about  Raven Wilkinson, Lauren Anderson, Tai Jimenez and Victoria Johnson. But their careers can seem like ancient history to  children and adults alike.

We also were aware of Kimberly Braylock at San Francisco Ballet, Christina Spigner at Miami City Ballet,  Misty Copeland and Courtney Lavine at American Ballet Theater, Erica Lynette Edwards and Dara Holmes at Joffrey and Katlyn Addison and Whitney Huell at Ballet West.  But somehow, we missed the fact that Miss Boisson had been hired at NYC Ballet. 

Baby steps! Yea!

#30 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I realize that on the list of really important things, the dearth of active, black, female classical dancers is pretty low.

Oh my dear, do not downplay the issue.  Just like every other public profession, we want all our kids to find examples of themselves in the adult world they hope to enter.  We are in the messy middle of this long process -- things are not as dire as they were in the recent past, but we still have work to do.  By encouraging the kids around us to explore their skills and interests we tell them that these pursuits are valued, and that the world is full of people who persevered and achieved -- that's a truly valuable lesson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):