Black Female Dancer at New York City Ballet?Who is the African American female dancer at City Ballet?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I had no idea that city ballet had a black female dancer in the corp de ballet. Who is she? 

#2 trieste

trieste

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

It makes me happy that diversity is becoming more common, but really... It's ridiculous that we still see so few dancers of color that we're surprised to see them! Sometimes it really does seem ballet is stuck firmly in the past. In what other art forums would a post like this even exist?

(Sorry I have no answers for you; I'm sure one of our many New Yorkers will be able to help you!)

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Outside Cuba, that's sad, but true.

In the cast I saw of PNB's "Nutcracker" the party children looked like a mini United Nations reunion. In the toy house (to the Mother Ginger music), which uses more advanced, although not yet Professional Division students, it made me want to weep at the contrast.

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Her name is Olivia Boisson

#5 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thank you. There's a tiny human close to me who has fallen in love with ballet. I want her to know about role models who look like her. 

#6 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

The title of this thread sounds like a headline from the 1960s.

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, it's still news over 50 years later.

#8 Jelly

Jelly

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

You might find it interesting to Google Olivia Boisson. There are a lot of interesting photos and her Facebook site has posts available to non friends. She is a New Yorker of Haitian descent who attended LaGuardia Arts High School.

#9 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thank you. There's a tiny human close to me who has fallen in love with ballet. I want her to know about role models who look like her. 

You might help your tiny human find out about Debra Austin.  She was one of my favorite NYCB dancers in the 1970's.  Balanchine choreographed a great solo for her in Ballo Della Regina.  She now is a ballet mistress for the Carolina Ballet

Here's a link to a picture and some information

#10 Carl Steeg MD

Carl Steeg MD

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

NYCB has had  a number of black dancers, both male and female, including two principals (both male) - Arthur Mitchell and Andre Evans.  Some of the past black female dancers include Debra Austin, as mentioned above, Andrea Long, Aesha Ash, Myrna Kamara,  and Cynthia Lochard.

Olivia Boisson is a very talented new corps member who I think may really move up.

#11 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:03 AM

And remember Arthur Bell, who fell on hard times but at the end of his life reconnected with his family:

http://articles.lati...2/news/mn-38491

#12 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

And remember Arthur Bell, who fell on hard times but at the end of his life reconnected with his family:

http://articles.lati...2/news/mn-38491

And in the brief time that NYCB was Ballet Society, Betty Nichols. She died in 2010, but the current Ballet Review has an interview with her from 1983. 

#13 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

Also Raven Wilkinson of the Ballet Russe as well as Delores Brown and Janet Collins of course.

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

I just wish so many of their stories weren't sad.

#15 Lawrence

Lawrence

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:21 AM

Aesha Ash left NYCB in 2003.  Ms. Boisson is the first AA female since that time to move into the NYCB corps.  I think that's pretty sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):