This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Johan Kobborg to run Romanian National Ballet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 checkwriter

checkwriter

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

"Danish choreographer Johan Kobborg will run the National Romanian Ballet from February 2014 after recently signing with the ballet La Sylphide in Bucharest."

Link here.  

#2 miliosr

miliosr

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:20 AM

What's going on with Johan Kobborg in Bucharest?

His twitter feed states that, "It is with heavy heart I find my name removed as artistic director of the ONB company."

https://twitter.com/...erp|twgr^author

#3 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

This is a very strange turn of events, just three days after the local premiere of Manon. Alina Cojocaru and Friedemann Vogel were to dance the ballet on Sunday, but what now? Cojocaru is still listed as a permanent guest artist, but who knows for how much longer. There is an "International Dance Gala" scheduled for the end of the month, and a triple bill of In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated, In the Night and Theme and Variations is to premiere in June. What could have prompted the opera house to throw all this into doubt?

#4 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

So very sad to see this in my Facebook feed this morning. Johan has given his heart and soul to this company and especially the dancers. What a treasure to loose

#5 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

There is an "International Dance Gala" scheduled for the end of the month, and a triple bill of In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated, In the Night and Theme and Variations is to premiere in June.

Damn, that's a juicy program.

#6 Ashton Fan

Ashton Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:29 AM

It would seem that an interim general manager, a conductor called Tiberiu Soare has been appointed to run the opera house. It is being said that although Kobborg has been undertaking the function of the ballet's artistic director he did not sign a contract as artistic director as the post does not actually exist.It all sounds very odd to me.  There is also the  suggestion that Mr Soare does not think that English has any place in a Romanian national institution. It is unclear what Mr Soare's attitude is to the foreign dancers currently working in the company or whether he knows or cares about the extraordinary transformation Kobborg has made in the short time he has been with the ballet company..

It is at times like this that you realise that they do things very differently in the non English speaking world. I know that Rojo is reported as saying that she would not want to run a Spanish company because directing artistic organisations in Spain is heavily influenced by politics. Tenure has everything to do with which politicians are in power and very little to do with ability and competence. It looks as if the same may be true in Bucharest.

Kobborg is in the fortunate position of being a man with an international reputation who now has acquired an impressive track record as an "artistic director" and a transformational leader in a very short space of time. It will be very interesting to see how events unfold in Bucharest and what Kobborg does next.

#7 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

I've always thought of Cojocaru and Kobborg as a package deal as far as the Romainian Ballet was concerned.  If he's no longer affiliated, I wonder what her future plans will be.

#8 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Yes, they're a package deal.

"Dear audience to the Manon show @OperaBucharest on the 10th,I want to let you know that I have not yet been contacted by the new direction.."

https://twitter.com/...733963545108481

"I will be be performing ONLY under the management that made this ballet happen for our audience to enjoy, with @KOBBORG as our leader!!"

https://twitter.com/...734011049746432

She does have plenty of work elsewhere, at the English National Ballet and the Hamburg Ballet. Today she is performing The Lady of the Camellias in Munich.
https://www.staatsop...4-06-19-30.html

#9 Josette

Josette

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

There could still be considered to be an oral contract between Kobberg and the company, as surely there were material terms bargained for, agreed upon and executed, such as compensation and duty, regardless as to whether there was a formal job title.  Kobberg's duties would not come under the job description of any similar person at the company.  That's depending on what the civil statutes are Romania.  It all is very underhanded and artistically stupid.

#10 kbarber

kbarber

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:36 AM

this thread should really be moved out of the Royal Danish Ballet forum shouldn't it?

#11 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:04 AM

I agree with Katherine that this thread is not in the most appropriate of places!

Dance Europe magazine has just posted on FB:

"Johan Kobborg and Opera National Bucharest

Great news coming from Bucharest - it transpires that a new position of artistic director of the ballet company is to be created and that Johan Kobborg will be given the power to direct the ballet company of Opera National Bucharest."

https://www.facebook...Europe/?fref=ts

#12 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

How mysterious -- is this in response to the pushback, or was this already in the works, and they just muffed the announcments?

#13 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Whatever was going on ... sounds like good news for Kobborg and the company.

(Though I must admit one of my first thoughts about the seeming dismissal was...'gee I wonder if this means Cojocaru might look for more dance opportunities in the U.S.?' It's the selfish gene.)

#14 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

I think that in most countries where the artistic companies (opera, dance, symphonies, theatre, museums, etc. etc.) are largely supported by tax-monies, the politics play a much larger, or at least much more visible role in deciding who has "power" to direct and run the various institutions than they do in, say, the USA. 

that said, this is all quite mysterious - and the timing of the various announcements does seem somewhat odd. 

I hope for the best for all concerned! 

-d-

#15 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

Johan tweeted this morning that ONB received a letter requesting that the license to certain ballets be withdrawn. It seems that after some tense negotiations it will not work out after all (this is based on Alina and Johan's tweets).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):