This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Friday, December 6

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Ballet Forest Grove presents its Nutcracker. Video.

But putting on a ballet isn’t cheap. This year, about 350 people will take the stage for the production. Ballet Forest Grove recycles costumes, but they sometimes need repairing or replacing.

Petersen estimates Ballet Forest Grove has amassed more than $20,000 worth of costumes, and that doesn’t include props.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

Orlando Ballet dancers will appear at a public library this weekend.

The event will include story-telling time, as well as an excerpt from "The Nutcracker," a perennial holiday favorite.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

The Tyler Junior College Academy of Dance presents its Nutcracker.

Abi Stafford and Adrian Danchig-Waring have been dancing in The Nutcracker since they were in elementary school. They got special permission from the New York City Ballet to spend this weekend dancing in TJC's 25th anniversary Nutcracker performance. 

"There are all these kids rehearsing and all these parents coming in to do a party scene and we kind of get inserted at the last minute," says Danchig-Waring. 

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

Lauren Cuthbertson's top ten tips for living the life of a ballet dancer.

9. Accept that being successful means making sacrifices.

Yes I've had to make sacrifices. But then everyone has to sacrifice something if they really want to do something successfully. So it feels completely natural for me to make sacrifices, but sometimes my friends look at me like I'm some kind of alien.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Misty Copeland will appear in the Central Wisconsin School of Ballet’s Nutcracker.

Carlos Lopez, former soloist and current teacher at the American Ballet Theatre, has been coming to Wausau to perform in “The Nutcracker” for six years, bringing a different dancer from ABT each time.

This weekend’s trip is Copeland’s first to Wausau. She will play the Sugar Plum Fairy and Lopez will play the Cavalier.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

A feature on Karen Dunn, who's volunteering behind the scenes at the Stapleton Ballet's Nutcracker.

Dunn, a former accounting manager at Hewlett-Packard, is in her 12th season of donating her time and sewing talents to the community ballet, and manages a volunteer team of 20. She relies on her love of sewing and on her 30-year-old Pfaff sewing machine, given to her by her parents when she graduated from college.

"There has always been a group of crazy sewing people willing to do this," Dunn said with a laugh.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

A review of the Sangre de Cristo Ballet's Nutcracker by Johanna Woelfel in The Pueblo Chieftain.

Those students, who forgo all manner of extracurricular activities and spare time to put in the hours and prodigious effort necessary to display their talents know the work is valuable. As Nanny, Snowflake and Candymaker and Pueblo West High School sophomore Kayla Gray explains, “When I’m on stage, it’s a different world. In that world I’m a different person, and through that person I’m telling a story.”

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Pix from the Richmond Ballet's Nutcracker.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Goldstar offers its seventh annual National Nutcracker Award.

The winner, which will be announced Dec. 23, will receive a “Nutty” statuette and cash prize for the dance company’s education program. Members of Goldstar (a discount events ticketing agency) can vote for their favorite “Nutcracker” online here.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

An interview with Alessandra Ferri by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

“Chéri” is about the end of a relationship, a circumstance she recently experienced in her personal life. Ms. Ferri and the photographer Fabrizio Ferri, with whom she has two daughters, 12 and 16, separated after 15 years together. (The former couple, both born in Italy, coincidentally share the same last name.) At the time, Ms. Ferri was working on “The Piano Upstairs,” a dance-theater work by John Weidman about the dissolution of a marriage. It was performed in Spoleto, Italy, last summer.

“What can you do?” Ms. Ferri said with a sigh and a smile. “You have to face the reality of life.”

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

An interview with Ballet West trainee Isabel Jones.

“I thoroughly enjoy creating characters when I perform,” she explains. “It is one of the most important tasks as a dancer, for without the use of words, expressing the intensions and emotions of a character is not only essential, but really fun! Having a mom who was an actress has inspired me to dig deep into roles. When I perform, my goal is to make my actions make sense, and to have a reason for everything. If my movement isn’t organic or doesn’t align with the story, then I am not doing my job and the work is not complete.”

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

A guide to local Nutcrackers by Ann Haskins in LA Weekly.

Every year SoCal boasts a bumper crop of Nutcracker performances and this year is no exception. The best are to be found in the professional productions from Los Angeles Ballet, Inland Pacific Ballet, State Street Ballet and Moscow Ballet and from training companies like Festival Ballet, Pasadena Dance Theatre and Long Beach Ballet, which often augment their casts of pre-professionals with guest artists from professional companies.

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Q&A with Kote Fuijishima of the Columbia Classical Ballet.

Santa is popular in the U.S., but Col. Sanders (of Kentucky Fried Chicken) dressed as Santa Claus is really popular in Japan, because people eat fried chicken at Christmas. So, who do you like better: Santa or Col. Sanders?

I like Santa Claus much better. The whole thing with Col. Sanders has gotten out of hand.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

The Ballet Etudes Company presents its Nutcracker.

This year’s guest artists are dancers from the New York City Ballet, Georgina Pazcoguin and Gonzalo Garcia. Also appearing in the production are Christina Fagundes, formerly of American Ballet Theatre and Ballet Etudes resident choreographer, and Jennifer Tinsley Williams, formerly with New York City Ballet and ballet mistress with Ballet Etudes.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

A review of "Man in a Case" by George Jackson for danceviewtimes.

The school teacher has so many marked habits that he becomes a caricature. He dresses fussily, has an array of locks on his door, and puts everything transportable into carrying cases. Has he soul? He must, for he dies of disappointed love. I didn’t, though, see soul on stage in Baryshnikov’s portrayal. Compared to the quite similar Prof. Unrat played by Emil Jannings in the classic movie, “The Blue Angel”, Baryshnikov’s school teacher is inhuman. Jannings was able to combine pedantry with credible spontaneity and give us a complete if flawed person. Baryshnikov shows us only the rote creature in the first of this pair of Chekhov tales.  For the second story, he almost goes to the other extreme.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):