This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mathilde FrousteyNew Principal Dancer at SFB

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#91 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Not much can be inferred, I am afraid, from the fact that Messmer's name reappeared on the SFB site: a number of other dancers who we know will not be dancing next season reappeared as well. That may be simply a publicity move before the Summer tour anticipating that many European ballet goers would be visiting the SFB site to learn more about the company.

Sadly, I have to agree.  I’ll believe Messmer will be back when I actually see her on WMOH stage.  By contrast, Froustey was on the roster as soon as the 2015 roster was put out, so her return was more or less a sure thing from the start.

#92 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

A 2nd long interview with Mathilde by Danses avec la Plume (in French) -

http://www.dansesave...-un-an-de-plus/

For anyone not reading French, it's always possible to use Google Translate to get the gist of things. But I can say that it does go into some detail about her decision to stay one more year at SFB, and her situation with the POB. A very interesting piece.

#93 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

An excellent interview. It reveals more than pages and pages of (mostly empty) speculations. Froustey's road to the étoile status at the Opéra remains open but she absolutely must do certain things on her own. So much depends on what she does even though she likes to think it doesn't.

#94 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

An excellent interview. It reveals more than pages and pages of (mostly empty) speculations.  Froustey's road to the étoile status at the Opéra is still open but she absolutely must do certain things on her own. So much depends on what she does even though she likes to think it doesn't.

Pretty great interview, isn't it?

I'll admit to getting 'assistance' from French speakers to understand it, but there's some really interesting remarks about the differences between life at POB, and SFB; how Tomasson behaves towards Froustey and the other dancers; and the very different pressures put on Principals as compared to Corps or mid-rank dancers at POB (or even SFB). And she makes no bones about SF being a tough town to find affordable living in. (I have to think that is one of the major issues confronting any dancer thinking of relocating to the Bay Area.) I'm acutally kind of shocked that the company makes no provisions to help out foreigners trying to find housing in SF.

#95 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

The whole interview is full of interesting remarks on whatever she is being asked about. And, amazingly, everything she says rings true and sincere.

#96 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Enjoyed her commentary about some of the other dancers in the company.  For example:

“Sara [Van Patten] is a great performer. This is one that will make the audience cry in two seconds. It is the drama, she has eyes and a face that take the light. She was great in Giselle.”  

Spot on.

But my favorite comment (courtesy of Google Translate):  

“The work [at San Francisco Ballet] is much more intense, I am sometimes completely cooked within two hours.”

It really sounds like she’s feeling a lot of conflict:  return to Paris, which she loves,; stay here in San Francisco where she seems to have artistic fulfillment.  Hard choices ahead.

#97 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

It's interesting how in the last few months all these videos of Ms. Froustey have begun popping up - I recall when there was only a couple to be found.

Froustey dancing a variation from Carmen (Roland Petit) for the 2010 Concours:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UQQN433gHIg

#98 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

There are only four videos on that YT channel, all four one year old. Of her "relatively" recent videos I know only of her SFB gala Grand pas classique and DQ. Those are a few months old. Has anything else appeared recently?

#99 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

There are only three videos on that YT channel, all three one year old. Of her "relatively" recent videos I know only of her SFB gala Grand pas classique and DQ. Those are a few months old. Has anything else appeared recently?

Hi Mathilde K,

I wasn't actually referring to the one channel but all the various videos that come up in Youtube searches. I can remember when I first heard she was coming to SFB, there was nothing to look at to get a sense of her dancing. The newer videos appear on a certain Chinese website, while the Youtube ones are from past years at the POB.

[EDIT] Here is a fun video - Mathilde Froustey and Emmanuel Thibault in, I'm guessing, La Fille Mal Gardée (a ballet I've never seen myself). Is this Ashton's choreography, or?
http://www.tudou.com...ew/TM34hzuRScY/

And, another performance, with Froustey and Pierre-Arthur Raveau:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JshJMAnYHHo

#100 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

It's interesting how in the last few months all these videos of Ms. Froustey have begun popping up - I recall when there was only a couple to be found.

Froustey dancing a variation from Carmen (Roland Petit) for the 2010 Concours:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UQQN433gHIg

The Carmen is interesting, but to be honest, I don't it really shows her at her best.  I much prefer this bit from Manon.

#101 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

The Vimeo channel "Loulou loves ballet" has five high-quality Froustey videos that have been uploaded in the last six months: Don Q, two Giselles, Grand Pas Classique, and Nutcracker pas.

#102 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

The Carmen is interesting, but to be honest, I don't it really shows her at her best.  I much prefer this bit from Manon.

It is quite often repeated that Froustey is a par excellance "White Classics" ballerina. I have second thoughts about that. I saw her around 20 times and found her probably most attractive in Ratmansky's «Trilogy» where she was dancing her own part and, after an intermission, also Messmer's part who she was substituting for that evening. Finesse and light touch she is always bringing in when she is on stage made certain crude mannerisms of the choreography look a lot more appealing.

The Vimeo channel "Loulou loves ballet" has five high-quality Froustey videos that have been uploaded in the last six months: Don Q, two Giselles, Grand Pas Classique, and Nutcracker pas.

In my post I meant these. They are all several months old and I am afraid we will not have any more from the War Memorial Opera.

#103 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

It is quite often repeated that Froustey is a par excellance "White Classics" ballerina. I have second thoughts about that. I saw her around 20 times and found her probably most attractive in Ratmansky's «Trilogy» where she was dancing her own part and, after an intermission, also Messmer's part who she was substituting for that evening. Finesse and light touch she is always bringing in when she is on stage made certain crude mannerisms of the choreography look a lot more appealing.

I agree, and I think that's what Tomasson was seeing as well in her demo videos. He must have had the feeling that Froustey could bring something to the modern ballets as well. I'm sure he is betting that she will continue to grow as a dancer, given the right coaching. Her interview with Amélie at Danses avec la plume makes me think that, yes, she may still learn more and more. There are no guarantees though, but she is surrounded by hard working, focused dancers, and that may be just what she needs.

#104 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Pherank, Paris Opera Ballet does Ashton's La Fille Mal Gardee, and that is the excerpt with Froustey and Thibault.

#105 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

[Admin beanie on]

We have a strict official news policy on Ballet Alert! which are described in detail here (scroll):

http://balletalert.i...50-rules-rules/

Private conversations are not official news, and references to them have been removed.

[Admin beanie off]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):