This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mathilde FrousteyNew Principal Dancer at SFB

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

SFB fans are no doubt looking forward to seeing Mathilde Froustey live on the War Memorial stage. I hope the season goes well for her, and she stays on indefinitely (though she wisely took a sabbatical from the POB).

For images of, and by, Ms. Froustey, I recommend her Instagram page:

http://instagram.com/mfroustey

She also has a Twitter page - that she updates less frequently (and I can't blame her):

https://twitter.com/MFroustey

At the laundromat (SF Mission District, I believe)

408984e4559211e3ba6e122b69781b89_8.jpg

#2 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Froustey as Kitri

Not the highest extensions, not the biggest jumps, not the most stage devouring technique, but — talk about attack and personality.  And while it’s hard to say from a video, she looks like an interestingly and intensely musical dancer.  Can’t wait to see her on stage.

#3 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Here's a nice long interview with Ms. Froustey from Danses Avec La Plume:

http://www.dansesave...ancisco-ballet/

How do you imagine the ambiance to be at SFB?

I had a lunch a few days ago with Helgi Tomasson. The relationships seem to be simple and direct. We had a very honest chat. I told him my anguishes and he tried to explain how everything would happen. We really want it to be a nice experience for both sides. It is quite a big deal having someone brought from out of the US; if they did it, they’ll probably want me to dance as much as possible and this is exactly what I want. So, on the paper sheet, everything seems perfect; of course, I guess there will be some difficulties but it is such a deep desire for me to go dance there…

What is your best memory on stage with this company?
The Four Little Swans in the Lake that I danced with Dorothée Gilbert, Myriam Ould-Braham and Fanny Fiat. There was a perfect harmony and we were all friends…

#4 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

BbUUoR8CAAAPqNi.jpg

1st stage rehearsal of the Grand Pas de Deux in Nutcracker with SFB

#5 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Froustey posted this video via Twitter:  her performance in SFB's Nutcracker Grand Pas de deux.  Her Prince is Davit Karapetyan.  Unfortunately, his solo is cut, but you do get to see him a bit during the coda.  She is just wonderful.  

#6 Eshana

Eshana

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Froustey posted this video via Twitter:  her performance in SFB's Nutcracker Grand Pas de deux.  Her Prince is Davit Karapetyan.  Unfortunately, his solo is cut, but you do get to see hims bit during the coda.  She is just wonderful.  

Thanks for this; she's just lovely. The televised version with Kochetkova hasn't the same charm, to be honest.

SFB had better do its best to hold onto Froustey. From the little that I've seen of Sylve, one can never have too many French ballerinas in a company. happy.png

#7 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for this; she's just lovely. The televised version with Kochetkova hasn't the same charm, to be honest.

Have to agree; Froustey's charm doesn't look like the kind that gets turned off the minute she leaves the stage.  Very appealing.

SFB had better do its best to hold onto Froustey. From the little that I've seen of Sylve, one can never have too many French ballerinas in a company. happy.png

Really agree with that.  Sylve can be variable, but when she's on her game, she's unique.  I'm guessing Froustey is going to be very individual too.

#8 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Froustey posted this video via Twitter:  her performance in SFB's Nutcracker Grand Pas de deux.  Her Prince is Davit Karapetyan.  Unfortunately, his solo is cut, but you do get to see him a bit during the coda.  She is just wonderful.  

That was actually quite enjoyable - thanks. I'm usually not so intersted in this PDD, but Helgi seems to have updated some details, and MF and DK look great together.

Someone in the box seats is going to get in trouble for providing this video.  ;)  A Froustey family member, or friend, perhaps?

Froustey posted this video via Twitter:  her performance in SFB's Nutcracker Grand Pas de deux.  Her Prince is Davit Karapetyan.  Unfortunately, his solo is cut, but you do get to see hims bit during the coda.  She is just wonderful.  

SFB had better do its best to hold onto Froustey. From the little that I've seen of Sylve, one can never have too many French ballerinas in a company. happy.png

Hear, hear - though I think it will be more up to Ms. Froustey - she may want to see more of the world...

#9 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

That Nutcracker video is exquisite. That's the first I've seen of Froustey that I find really encouraging. I have to say her Kitri looks far too over-emphasized and jerky for me. But as the Sugar Plum she has real nuance to the performance.

It's good she has someone in her corner (or rather box) to video her. Perhaps this is a modern-day American version of the claque.

#10 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

That Nutcracker video is exquisite. That's the first I've seen of Froustey that I find really encouraging. I have to say her Kitri looks far too over-emphasized and jerky for me. But as the Sugar Plum she has real nuance to the performance.

It's good she has someone in her corner (or rather box) to video her. Perhaps this is a modern-day American version of the claque.

Yes, I actually find myself re-watching the footage. The really encouraging part is that MF is brand new to the company, and over time (if she decides to stay on) she will only grow as she's exposed to so many different dancers of different backgrounds (SFB is very eclectic).

"But as the Sugar Plum she has real nuance to the performance" - Masha's version on the DVD is of course precisely danced, but she's basically said she doesn't feel enthusiastic about doing Nutcracker, and so probably doesn't take the time to find and develop the details. I keep saying, the problem isn't the concept of the Nutcracker, and certainly not the music, but what choreographers have done (or not done) with the concept over time. Few choreographers have taken the ballet seriously.

#11 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Nice jumps in the coda - didn't know she could jump like that

#12 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I thought this was lovely--a very pure style.

#13 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I actually find myself re-watching the footage. The really encouraging part is that MF is brand new to the company, and over time (if she decides to stay on) she will only grow as she's exposed to so many different dancers of different backgrounds (SFB is very eclectic).

I'm going to disagree a bit and say I hope it's the opposite, that the company be inspired by special qualities she shows here, of taking time to work out all the nuances of her phrasing – and for her not to pick up an international look.

I really don't know what the SF company's style is – eclectic as you say, Cuban and Spanish and American vitalistic? Chrisopher Wheeldon says he fit the speedier parts of Cinderella on the San Francisco dancers and the more intimate ones on the Dutch Ballet. I tend to like Balanchine style and commedia dell'arte of Diaghilev and Russia in the early 1920's, so in the past I liked Tina LeBlanc, Gonzalo Garcia, Julie Diana, Vadim Solomakha, Taras Domitro (when he was a bit rawer, before Allan Ulrich's approval this year), and of course Sofiane Sylve – but they're all wild cards in the company.

#14 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

She could certainly gain some attack in her chainés and other similar elements.  Get off center a little more comfortably.  Though Nutcracker pas isn't somewhere you'd necessarily see that.  

#15 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

Watching the video, and reading the interview, makes me think this is a dancer I'd like to follow.  (Possibly because her head, and the way it sits upon the neck, remind me of a former NYCB favorite of mine, Kay Mazzo.) 

The Nutcracker pdd was fascinating:  parts lovely and subtle, parts that seem just to be sketched in.  Possibly this is due to something phrank has noted:

Masha's version on the DVD is of course precisely danced, but she's basically said she doesn't feel enthusiastic about doing Nutcracker, and so probably doesn't take the time to find and develop the details.

On the whole, I wish (along with Quiggin) for her "not to pick up an international look."  Her movement style, phrasing, and self-presentation reflect her training, but also her body and temperament. It might be a good idea, however, to work on torso flexibility; the lovely arm movements seem to be emerging a too-stolid central core.

A very interesting dancer. I wonder where her career will take her.

P.S.  Recent threads from San Francisco -- with the generous supply of links and visuals -- are giving the rest of us a lot of material to be envious about.  Thanks to all of you who post there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):