This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Act IV Pas de Deux

Melissa

In the late 1970's video performance with Makarova and Nagy, there is a pas de deux in Act IV with a beautiful piece of music whose main theme is set to a solo cello. I've yet to find any audio recording or another video in which this pas de deux/music is included. Can anyone shed light on this?

Melissa, I saw this production many times and should know this, but I don't -- I was hoping someone else would respond.

I don't remember your posting on the Welcome forum; forgive me if I missed it. But I don't think you have been officially welcomed, and so I'll do it now, albeit a bit belatedly. You've brought up quite a few interesting ideas and asked some good questions, and I hope you continue doing both!

In the late 1970's video performance with Makarova and Nagy, there is a pas de deux in Act IV with a beautiful piece of music whose main theme is set to a solo cello. I've yet to find any audio recording or another video in which this pas de deux/music is included. Can anyone shed light on this?

Melissa: The Pas de deux that you mentioned above uses the following music by Tchaikovsky:

Scène dansante, orchestrated by Drigo from Tchaikovsky's Op. 72 for Piano - No. 15 (Un poco di Chopin).

A few complete recordings of Swan Lake has the music that you want:

1) Viktor Fedotov - Mariinsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra

2) Evgeny Kolobov - Orchestra of Leningrad State Academic Kirov Theatre

Note: Most of the Mariinsky (Kirov) DVD productions of Swan Lake include that piece of music. The music is also used by the Royal Ballet of London for their productions of Swan Lake. Occasionally, the ABT uses it as well.