volcanohunter

Marc Platt

13 posts in this topic

Today is the 100th birthday of Marc Platt, founding member of the Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo and the original Dream Curly in Oklahoma!, who is probably best known for playing Daniel Pontipee in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Marcel LePlat was born in Pasadena, CA, on December 2, 1913.

Oh, what fun -- thanks so much for the link!

I agree, a wonderful antidote to the grey, wet and cold! Thanks!

-d-

The film Tonight and Every Night was based on the Windmill Theater, which was a variety house in London that was famous for never closing its doors during the Blitz -- it's been the subject of a couple other films, including the (fairly) recent Mrs Henderson Presents.

WONDERFUL link, thanks so much for posting that!

What a guy. I saw him last when he received his Isadora DUncan Award for lifetime achievement a couple of years back in San Francisco.

He's always so gracious.

Wow...he is even older than the late great Franklin and Mrs. Alonso-(93).Happy Birthday Mr.Platoff! (Is he the oldest surviving member of the troupe?

Also wanted to add - that split from the end is pure Nicholas Brothers, only two years after their Stormy Weather routine hit the theaters.

Ah, the Nicholas Brothers -- they were much more influential than they get credit for now.

I didn't realize he lived in my old stomping grounds - MV, though I knew he was doing drama shows with the Marin Civic Theatre. The Ballet Russes dancers seem to live a long time. Must have been the lack of food. ;)

I think it was the frequent practice they put in expressing vitality...