• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#106 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yes, some star dancers and ADs these days seem to have personal "foundations" on the side, and I'm not at all clear on how these are financed and what relationship they have with the theaters where they work. When Denis Matvienko was dismissed from his post at the National Ballet of Ukraine, the subject of the Denis Matvienko Foundation, whose executive director is his sister, came up, and there was speculation that the theater management was unhappy about its involvement in the production of ballets at the theater. It's all incredibly murky, but I'm guessing these foundations have very complex financial arrangements.

#107 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

I can't say I wish Dmitrichenko nine years in a Russian labor camp, but if he brought Zarutsky into the picture to rough up or intimidate Filin, then I do think he bears substantial responsibility for the more extreme violence that happened and should answer for it in some serious fashion. (I also continue to be puzzled as to why, even if one doesn't share that view, one wouldn't be plenty dismayed that he had hired someone to intimidate/harass Filin physically in any way. Lunkina has voiced strong criticism of Filin in at least one interview, but according to that same interview her own family has been a victim of physical threats/intimidation albeit by a different cast of characters.  She has reason to know how serious that is.)

#108 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

"....if he brought Zarutsky into the picture to rough up or intimidate Filin, then I do think he bears substantial responsibility for the more extreme violence that happened and should answer for it in some serious fashion. (I also continue to be puzzled as to why, even if one doesn't share that view, one wouldn't be plenty dismayed that he had hired someone to intimidate/harass Filin physically in any way."

I totally agree with this. I don't understand how these dancers can continue to support Dmitrichenko and insist on his innocence when he admitted in his final statement to the court that he had asked Zarutsky to beat up Filin.  Regardless of whether or not any of his grievances against Filin are justified, in my opinion he lost any moral high ground he might have had when he decided to resort to violence as a way of dealing with those grievances. 

#109 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Dmitrichenko has been found guilty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-25197504

Having read Putin's Russia (author since murdered) I am aware that verdicts are frequently awarded via bribery.  There was no jury in this case.

#110 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

"....if he brought Zarutsky into the picture to rough up or intimidate Filin, then I do think he bears substantial responsibility for the more extreme violence that happened and should answer for it in some serious fashion. (I also continue to be puzzled as to why, even if one doesn't share that view, one wouldn't be plenty dismayed that he had hired someone to intimidate/harass Filin physically in any way."

I totally agree with this. I don't understand how these dancers can continue to support Dmitrichenko and insist on his innocence when he admitted in his final statement to the court that he had asked Zarutsky to beat up Filin.  Regardless of whether or not any of his grievances against Filin are justified, in my opinion he lost any moral high ground he might have had when he decided to resort to violence as a way of dealing with those grievances. 

This is how I see it too.

#111 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

On the eve of this verdict, the Bolshoi Theatre's chief conductor resigned:

http://news.yahoo.co...-221833034.html

Maybe just a coincidence but, in the midst of the Dmitrichenko-Filin tragedy and the VaganovaAcad-Tsiskaridze woes in StP, there's a lot that's rotten in the state of Russian arts.

#112 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Dmitrichenko receives six years.  He is to appeal.

#113 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Petition in support of Dmitrichenko, who admitted to negotiating with the previously convicted Zarutsky to cause bodily harm to Filin.  

http://www.theguardi...s-ordering-acid

#114 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Dmitrichenko and Zarutsky got off pretty lightly compared to the life sentence that Filin is facing. Is there parole in Russia? I hope that they'll both at least have to serve out their full prison terms.

#115 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

Filin reacts to the verdict:

http://www.cnn.com/v...sponse.cnn.html

#116 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't understand how these dancers can continue to support Dmitrichenko and insist on his innocence when he admitted in his final statement to the court that he had asked Zarutsky to beat up Filin.  Regardless of whether or not any of his grievances against Filin are justified, in my opinion he lost any moral high ground he might have had when he decided to resort to violence as a way of dealing with those grievances. 

Perhaps they can support him because they believe he is the fall guy paid to carry out and also to take the public blame for the entire thing which was orchestrated by someone else... As such, what he says would not be the truth but rather what he was commissioned to say in court.

#117 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Filin said from the beginning that he thought the investigation stopped prematurely when Dmitrichenko was apprehended.

#118 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

This was also the official Bolshoi position, though not immediately. I wondered whether it was an attempt on the theater's part to mollify its dancers, who were in an uproar over Dmitrichenko's arrest. The initial "no one doubts Dmitrichenko's guilt" went over like a lead balloon.

#119 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Ismene Brown has been given a shout-out by Wendy Perron in "Dance Magazine" for her translations and summaries of the news from the Bolshoi (scroll to bottom):

http://www.dancemaga...logs/wendy/5554

#120 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Dmitrichenko and Zarutsky have had their sentences reduced by one year to five and nine years respectively, and Lipatov's sentence has been halved to two years.

http://en.ria.ru/rus...ttack-Case.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):