• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#91 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

A much more complete version of yesterday's testimony has appeared in Izvestia. It notes that the Bolshoi employees who appeared in court were Olga Smirnova, Evgenia Obraztsova, Semyon Chudin, Artem Ovcharenko, Denis Medvedev, Marina Kondratieva, Alexander Petukhov "and others."

Chudin contradicted one of Filin's claims. During his testimony Filin said that Dmitrichenko had called Chudin a "freak." (Filin also said that Dmitichenko had described Vladislav Lantratov as an "a__-licker.") But Chudin said that his relations with Dmitrichenko were very good, and he was uncomfortable having to address Dmitrichenko formally in court rather than informally.

http://izvestia.ru/news/561548

I don't see Chudin's remarks as you report them as "contradicting" Filin's testimony. Chudin could have had "very good" relations (at least as far as he is concerned) with Dmitrichenko and at the same time Dmitrichenko could have referred to him, whether to Filin or to others, as a "freak." There might be a contradiction; there might not. I have what I think are good relations with a number of people at work--that doesn't preclude the fact that one of them might be saying negative things about me without my knowing it. In fact, someone who genuinely likes me and has honestly good relations with me might say something negative about me whether due to a bad mood or one negative exchange or whatever--and the person they were speaking to draw a negative conclusion about our relations. "Contradictory" testimony implies that one of the people testifying must have been lying or radically mis-remembering/mistaken about what they heard: I don't think that has to be the case here. Could be...but there is no way of knowing based on the testimony alone.

#92 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sure. Excuse me for the shortcomings of my on-the-fly summary. We don't know under what circumstances Filin heard the remark, or even whether he heard it from Dmitrichenko himself. In his testimony Filin did say that he heard the remark about Lantratov personally.

Pavel Dmitrichenko called Chudin, Semyon, a freak. He didn't like Vladislav Lantratov. In my presence he specifically called him an a__-licker.

Sorry, the direct link is down, but here is a repost: http://news.rambler.ru/22052600

Obviously Chudin wouldn't be able to confirm or deny any statement made when he wasn't present, so it was a strange question to ask at all. But if its purpose was to establish whether there was any animosity between him and Dmitrichenko, Chudin's answer was, no [at least not on his end]. In its summary the NYT reported that Dmitrichenko's interactions with the dancers who came to testify yesterday were friendly, except with Olga Smirnova. It doesn't appear that any of them came to testify against him. They came because they objected to Tsiskaridze's characterization of Filin. Frankly none of them seemed to have anything meaningful to say about relations between Filin and Dmitrichenko.

#93 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,127 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

From Ismene Brown's blog,

Zarutsky testifies

He's quite the raconteur.

#94 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Filin makes a couple of short appearances in this Russian featurette about the premiere of Marco Spada:

#95 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Sure. Excuse me for the shortcomings of my on-the-fly summary.

I'm grateful for your summaries and didn't intend a criticism. It's just that with so many accusations flying against Filin -- the victim of this terrible crime -- I am sensitive about clarifying anything that sounds like a new accusation against him when I don't think that's what's happening.

#96 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

According to Ismene Brown, trial verdict to be declared Tuesday, December 3rd.

http://www.ismeneb.c...re_verdict.html

Not surprised that there was very little media coverage of the Bolshoi dancers and teachers defending Filin in court.

#97 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

http://www.theguardi...trichenko-filin

I suppose it's notable that the prosecution is asking for a nine-year sentence for Dmitrichenko, ten years for Zarutsky and six years for Lipatov. Prior to the trial they said repeatedly that they would be seeking the 12-year maximum.

#98 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

I notice that Dmitrichenko's photo is still up in the company's website.  How weird to see him there and behind a cage at the same time...

#99 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

Lipitov might get off - there is no evidence that I've seen reported in the media that he was paid, or knew what was happening (directly).  But I think Zarutsky and Dimitrichenko are going face long jail sentences.  I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

#100 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Some 150 employees of the Bolshoi Theater, including about 40 dancers, have signed a letter in support of Dmitrichenko, believing that the prosecution has not proven its case against him and hoping for a fair verdict. Dancers who reportedly signed the letter include Svetlana Lunkina, Marianna Ryzhkina, Anna Antonicheva, Alexander Volchkov, Anna Nikulina, Elena Andrienko and Denis Rodkin.

http://izvestia.ru/news/561678

#101 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

There's been another personnel shake up.  This just in:  Filin's advisor, Dilara Timergazin is done. Her last day is January 1, 2014.

http://izvestia.ru/news/561760

#102 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

According to the article, her post--advisor to the artistic director--is being eliminated. It had not existed prior to Filin's directorship. This is a significant development because some dancers have been very critical of her. The piece includes a link to an interview in which Svetlana Lunkina had nothing good to say about her. http://balletalert.i...ronto/?p=322491 In his testimony at the trial Nikolai Tsiskaridze was also very critical.

Frankly speaking, hand on heart, for two and a half years the Bolshoi Ballet has been run by this madam without ballet training. If she does not like someone, that person is removed from his roles. She is an advisor. It's unclear who this person is. But that's how it is.

http://izvestia.ru/n...2#ixzz2mKPsJdOy

Added: In her Izvestia interview Joy Womack said that Timergazina was the one responsible for looking after her paperwork, and even the Bolshoi acknowledges that wasn't done as well as it could have been.

#103 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

According to the article, her post--advisor to the artistic director--is being eliminated. It had not existed prior to Filin's directorship. This is a significant development because some dancers have been very critical of her. The piece includes a link to an interview in which Svetlana Lunkina had nothing good to say about her. http://balletalert.i...ronto/?p=322491 In his testimony at the trial Nikolai Tsiskaridze was also very critical.

Frankly speaking, hand on heart, for two and a half years the Bolshoi Ballet has been run by this madam without ballet training. If she does not like someone, that person is removed from his roles. She is an advisor. It's unclear who this person is. But that's how it is.

http://izvestia.ru/n...2#ixzz2mKPsJdOy

Added: In her Izvestia interview Joy Womack said that Timergazina was the one responsible for looking after her paperwork, and even the Bolshoi acknowledges that wasn't done as well as it could have been.

Interesting. She is also Olga Smirnova's mother in law (I know she only recently got married).

I wonder how Dmitrichenko still has people who openly support him within the Bolshoi... though apparently he did not know of the acid attack itself, he was doing some underhanded things to achieve what he perceived needed to be done. The ends don't justify the means, in my opinion - then again, I don't know him personally. I guess tomorrow we will know what the court decides.

#104 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think it's entirely possible to feel sympathy for Filin and also believe that Dmitrichenko was not responsible for what happened. Even most of Filin's staunchest supporters who came to refute Tsiskaridze's testimony reportedly had friendly interactions with Dmitrichenko in court.

We can also consider the particular circumstances of the signatories named. Svetlana Lunkina is in exile in Canada. Ryzhkina and Antonicheva are older ballerinas who have largely been sidelined in the repertoire, so they may feel they have relatively little to lose, though Ryzhkina would have to consider her son, who dances in the corps de ballet. Nikulina and Volchkov enjoy the favor of Yuri Grigorovich, which is why she starred in the Bolshoi's last two cinema broadcasts, both Grigorovich ballets. After his Romeo, Volchkov was also supposed to appear on screen as Crassus, but he has not performed since injury forced him to withdraw from performances in London last summer, so casting had to be shuffled. He is the only male principal who dances in all of Grigorovich's ballets and productions. Beyond that, though, Nikulina has not been getting much love from the Bolshoi lately. For example, it has not cast her in Swan Lake for a year and a half, even though it's the ballet the Bolshoi performs more than any other, and she's been dancing the lead since she was 19. She was also not cast for the London tour, even though her name was included in general press releases right until the end. Andrienko and Rodkin were known to be supporters of Tsiskaridze. Rodkin was Tsiskaridze's pupil, and Andrienko spoke out against his dismissal even though Bolshoi dancers were under a press gag order at the time.

I suspect most Bolshoi dancers are just trying to stay out of the crossfire and praying for the day when the turmoil will finally be over.

#105 solo

solo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thank you, volcanohunter, for your very accurate analysis.

In the most recent article I read something, which came as a surprise for me - the news about some “Ballet Traditions” fund, which doesn't have a website. An extract from: http://izvestia.ru/news/561760

"From January 1, 2014, the post of Advisor to the Artistic Director of the ballet company will be abolished. According to “Izvestia” newspaper, the Bolshoi’d press officer Katerina Novikova said that Dilyara Timergazina who is holding this post at the moment had been already notified of her dismissal.

According to “Izvestia”, immediate boss of Timergazina the Artistic Director of the ballet company Sergei Filin had been warned in advance of the non-renewal of the (her?) contract with the Bolshoi. His contract will expire in 2016. Also, according to the newspaper’s source, the Artistic Director was offered a one-year leave to make a recovery, which he turned down.

It is known that Dilyara Timergazina is a graduate of one of the best business schools in the USA - a New York University Stern School of Business. In addition to her work at the Bolshoi she also works as the Director General of "The Ballet Traditions" creative fund where Sergei Filin is the President and his wife Maria Prorvich is the Executive Director. Timergazina's son Dmitry is married to a Bolshoi’s leading soloist Olga Smirnova."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):