This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi BabylonBolshoi to let the cameras inside

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

UK pubcaster the BBC has commissioned a documentary that promises to go behind the scenes for the first time at Moscow’s prestigious but scandal-struck Bolshoi Theatre.

The filmmakers have been granted inside access to the theatre, which is home to both the Bolshoi Ballet and the Bolshoi Opera – among the oldest and most renowned ballet and opera companies in the world.

http://realscreen.co...bolshoi-ballet/

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Why did they recieve permission? It has sounded like a reality show from the word go, but I think the boat sailed several months ago... There is no such thing as bad publicity?

#3 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

"It looks likely to meet its €510,000 (US$693,800) budget, €94,700 of which is being covered by the BBC’s documentary strand ‘Storyville.’ The filmmakers are aiming to have the film ready for release in the second half of 2014."

I have a feeling that the people involved are making lemonade from lemons.

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

A freak show for the modern audience..? Hum...

#5 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well, like Black Swan, it may bring a new audience to the ballet... Maybe the hope is that their eyes will open for the scandal and stay open to savor the beauty... Has the Black Swan surge panned out into any increase of sustained interest?

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

This could be ballet's answer to figure skating's 'Tonya-Nancy Saga' of 20 years ago. Pass the popcorn!

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

In the mid-1990s the BBC produced an extremely interesting series on the Royal Opera House titled The House. While it was said to have improved the theater's box office receipts, the public airing of its backstage dirty laundry was widely considered to have been a PR disaster for the ROH.

http://www.independe...is-1526339.html

#8 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Bolshoi Babylon will have its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

http://tiff.net/fest...bolshoi-babylon

#9 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,716 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

I'd forgotten about this -- we'll see what it's like!

#10 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Bolshoi Babylon will be released in cinemas in Japan at the end of September. Maria Alexandrova, visiting here for the World Ballet Festival has been interviewed for the publicity of the film.

#11 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

If the company and its dancers are promoting the film, chances are it isn't a terribly hard-hitting affair.

#12 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Here is the trailer for the Japan theatrical release

#13 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

The trailer throws out some sharp lines designed to attract viewers, about theater being a brutal profession and a hotbed, about the dissent brought about by Filin’s outside hires and questions about their quality (though the editing of that bit is extremely choppy and perhaps distorted), about the company needing to change how it works, but also about how what happens on stage is all that matters. He was not included in the trailer, but I see that Nikolai Tsiskaridze was also interviewed for the film, and no doubt he had some strong things to say. If the film is 87 minutes long, and it covers the acid attack in some detail, I wonder how much time is left over for much else. However, those shots of severely overcrowded barres present a different picture from the very selective view of company life the Bolshoi presented online during World Ballet Day.

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

I don't have full access to "The Sunday Times," but the amount they are showing for free quotes Filin, including at least one from the documentary:

Speaking before stepping down from the high-profile role, Sergei Filin described managing the world’s largest ballet company as like “being at war, like walking on a minefield . . . You’d like to jump over it but have no idea if the spot where you land is also mined.

“It’s plagued by all sorts of intrigue and provocations, envy and jealousy that makes you nervous all the time,” Filin reveals in a forthcoming documentary, Bolshoi Babylon.

“Even if the acid attack had not happened, I can say that I shouldn’t have accepted the job. I made a mistake.”

http://www.thesunday...dard-2015_08_29

Ratmansky could have told him that, but some things, you just have to learn for yourself.

(Thanks to a heads up tweet by Marina Harss)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):