This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wednesday, November 27

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

A new documentary, "Ineffable," focuses on ballet.

“Ineffable” examines valiant efforts to train future generations of ballet students, practitioners, and audiences in a small town (West Palm Beach, Fla.), a big city (New York) and our own mid-sized San Diego.

During their stay here, at the Hotel La Jolla, Livingston and McKay were joined by writer/co-producer Sarah-Jane Murray, who lives part-time in Rancho Santa Fe. The three filmed and interviewed two of the principal dancers with San Diego Ballet, Maxim Tchernychev and Stephanie Maiorano.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

The Laurel Ballet presents its Nutcracker.

"They want to be the one who dies onstage. It's a fun thing," explained Ms. Tornblom, who founded a dance studio in 1957 that she renamed Laurel Youth Ballet Theatre in 1974. She has seen her share of "Nutcrackers," and this year will celebrate Laurel Ballet's 20th anniversary performance with the Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra. Walter Morales will guest conduct.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Q&A with Robert Binet.

Torontoist: Tell me a little bit about the creative process behind choreographing a ballet. What influences you, and what do you try to avoid?

Robert Binet: It always starts from a different point. Sometimes you’re asked to deliver something very specific, like an eight-minute piece featuring a man and a woman. Other times, you’re given complete freedom. You start by deciding what you’d like to do with the time, and deciding if you want to commision a new piece of music. For Innovation, I met Owen Pallett last January, and then got in touch with the [show’s] designer. Throughout this part of the process, I’m imagining the dancers I know who might work on stage. The design and music tend to be settled before I go into the studio.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

A review of the Stuttgart Ballet in "The Taming of the Shrew" by Louise Levene in The Telegraph.

Like Cranko’s Pineapple Poll, Katherine is a role that allows the dancer to subvert the classical ballerina lines, and the Spanish star relishes showing off her versatility as she morphs from the spavined, round-shouldered harpy of the early scenes to the serene and compliant wife of the finale.

We may quibble about the sexual politics but the closing pas de deux – like Titania’s dance with Prince Gremin in Onegin – is the embodiment of wedded bliss.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

A review of the English National Ballet's Nutcracker by Laura Davis in The Liverpool Daily Post, with photo gallery.

Wayne Eagling’s choreography showed a sense of humour that gave the story a certain lightness – Clara’s little brother Freddie (a cheeky Matthew Cotton) was played as a mischevious scamp, while the rats fought using a mouse trap as a trebuchet.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

A local TV news item on Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker.

CBS4 Critic at Large Greg Moody took a look at one of the high points of Mile High Holidays on CBS4 News.

“In a lot of ways it wouldn’t be the holidays without ‘The Nutcracker’ – large, lavish and beautifully performed by the Colorado Ballet,” Moody said.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

A listing of Nutcracker productions in the Chicago area.

A good production of "The Nutcracker" has a Christmas party and dancing that will warm anyone's heart, costumes that will keep little girls (and big girls, too) rapt with their beauty, charm and humor in the second act, and athleticism and grace in dancing that will wow audiences of all kinds.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Q&A with Charles-Louis Yoshiyama.

BWW: You were just promoted to Soloist at Houston Ballet. What was that like for you?

Charles-Louis Yoshiyama: It was great. I wasn't expecting it to be this soon. I feel like I've done a lot with the Houston Ballet, and I feel great. I've always wanted to be a soloist. Now, I can train harder and attempt to become a Principal for the next few years. It gives me more for my motivation. I'm not one to back down.

BWW: So far, what has been your favorite role to dance?

Charles-Louis Yoshiyama: The character role of Mercutio in Romeo & Juliet. I'd like to do that again. I was myself and I was able to enjoy every moment of the role as Mercutio.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

A listing of Southern California Nutcrackers......

The Marat Daukayev Ballet: The "former star of the Kirov Ballet" plays Drosselmeyer in this production, which is "(b)ased on the St. Petersburg production of 1934. Children will be dancing in many of the roles, which means this: It's the perfect first-time Nutcracker experience for your own small one. And for you, too. It's at the Luckman Fine Arts Complex on Dec. 7, 8, 14, and 15.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

...and for Long Island.

Like the whirlwind Cossack break-dance in Tchaikovsky's beloved suite, the "Nutcracker" pace accelerates next weekend with two productions featuring live orchestras. That's a trademark of Leggz Ltd., says director Joan MacNaughton. The Rockville Centre-based company will be accompanied by the 70-piece South Shore Symphony in performances Dec. 6-8 that feature Allison Walsh of the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago as the Sugar Plum Fairy ($22-$24, 516-766-7171). Walsh has been cast in the upcoming Broadway musical "An American in Paris," inspired by the George Gershwin classic of the same name.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

A preview of Richmond Ballet's Nutcracker.

Peter Tchaikovsky’s famous score will once again be brought to life by The Richmond Symphony for all 13 performances.

As part of the company’s 30th Anniversary Season, Richmond Ballet will sell a commemorative children’s holiday book, written by Richmond Ballet dancer, Valerie Tellmann.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

A review of the National Ballet of Canada by Denise Sum for danceviewtimes.

While Kudelka was the most established choreographer of the program, at the other end of the spectrum was 22 year old NBoC choreographic associate, Robert Binet.

Binet is a Torontonian from birth, having completed his training at the National Ballet School before creating a number of works for the NBoC choreographic lab. He has participated in the New York Choreographic Institute and Wayne McGregor's DanceLines initiative. His ballet "Unearth" takes audiences into a science fiction-like futuristic world that is quirky yet slick.....

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

A report on the trial of Pavel Dmitrichenko by Patrick Reevell in The New York Times.

On Wednesday, representatives for Mr. Filin, who was nearly blinded when a mixture of acid and urine was thrown in his face, unexpectedly summoned four of the Bolshoi’s leading dancers to rebut witnesses called by the defense who said that Mr. Filin had abused his power as artistic director and mistreated performers since his appointment in 2011.

“Sergei was very experienced,” said Olga Smirnova, a lead soloist at the Bolshoi. “He didn’t shout. He was cultured.” Standing stiff to one side of the cage in which the accused are held, Ms. Smirnova said that there was little opportunity for Mr. Dmitrichenko, who headed of the Bolshoi’s dancers’ union, to stand up for performers, and that she could not remember any serious conflicts about money.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

A story on Sarasota Ballet and its concentration on the Ashton repertory by Brian Seibert in The New York Times.

Mr. Webb said that the most important things he brought to Sarasota were his address book and his wife. She is Margaret Barbieri, a principal with the Royal from 1970 to 1990. Their courtship was something of a scandal — he was 12 years younger and in the corps — until it was sanctioned by Ninette de Valois, the Royal’s founder and a mother figure to Ms. Barbieri. Ashton was the first person that Ms. Barbieri and Mr. Webb entrusted with the secret that she was pregnant; in rehearsal afterward (of “Valses Nobles et Sentimentales,” a work scheduled for the Ashton festival), Ashton teased the expectant papa about his pink tights.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

A story on the kids in Pennsylvania Ballet's Nutcracker by Ellen Dunkel in The Philadelphia Inquirer.

For the first time in more than 20 years, Pennsylvania Ballet opted against auditioning children from across the region for its Nutcracker; instead, the field was narrowed to students at its own School of Pennsylvania Ballet, which reopened in 2012 after a 22-year hiatus - a feat they hadn't expected to swing after just one year. But, said Arantxa Ochoa, who retired as a company principal in 2012 to become lead teacher at the school, "The kids are ready."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):