5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Jennifer Kronenberg writes a how-to book for aspiring ballet dancers.

Those mundane-seeming but crucial questions as well as Kronenberg’s own mishaps inspired So, You Want to Be a Ballet Dancer? (University Press of Florida, $14.95), about which Kronenberg will speak Sunday at Miami Book Fair International.

“We all learn from mistakes,” says Kronenberg, 37. “But there are so many things to stress about. Why wouldn’t you want to come in prepared?”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Dance news notes by Judith Mackrell in The Guardian's blog.

But new developments are now being rumoured that Tsiskaridze himself will wield even greater power. The Academy's artistic director Altynai Asylmuratova, whose role in the school has been uncertain over these last few weeks, has apparently resigned over news that her own post is to be merged with that of the rector. And while Tsiskaridze has yet to be officially elected, few doubt that he will be holding that new, enlarged post.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

The Provo Civic Ballet presents its Nutcracker this weekend.

Creer-King founded the Provo Civic Ballet in 2009 to help prepare young dancers to enter university-level performing arts programs and to develop their talent to compete professionally. A challenge in putting this production together was meeting tight time constraints. The company began rehearsing the first week of September even though most "Nutcracker" performances are in December.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Dancers of the Colorado Ballet pose with the University of Colorado Denver's mascot.

The unlikely pairing came together in mutual celebration: It’s Milo’s first year as a mascot, CU Denver’s 40th anniversary, and the Colorado Ballet has been performing The Nutcracker for more than 50 years.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Phil Chan, the general manager of Armitage Gone! Dance ponders on ways to bring dance closer to the center of the culture.

There is no one question that our country is currently experiencing a drought of dance in mainstream American culture; there are few outlets for concert dance despite the popularity of mainstream programming like So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing with the Stars. If the arts are the "oasis of the soul," then how do we replant dance in American culture and push the desert back?

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Q&A with Antonio Douthit-Boyd.

Tell me about Chroma. Have you seen it? 
I saw Chroma on YouTube performed by the Royal Ballet. I was like, This is amazing! That year, we went to London and Wayne’s company was having a workshop; you could take their company class and participate a little bit in his rehearsals, because he was doing a study filming dancers and seeing how bodies moved within the space, so he had cameras in every corner of the studio. I took their company class and then got back to the theater for my rehearsals and class and to do my show; Chaya said, “If it’s on your own time, go do it.” So every morning, I would wake up, go to Wayne’s ballet class—I couldn’t do any of the rehearsals, because I had to get back to the theater. And I never got to see Wayne because someone else would teach the ballet class. But I got to experience the environment....... Wayne had contacted Ailey to ask if he could do a ballet on us because he was very interested in the company; mind you, the company had been watching his works and hoping that one day we would do one of his ballets, but he contacted us. Chaya had been watching Chroma for a while and asked if we could do Chroma. Somehow it all happened.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):