This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wednesday, November 13

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

American dancer Joy Womack quits the Bolshoi, alleging extortionate practices at the company.

"I learnt that I should pay 10,000 dollars for 'variations' (solo performances), to appear in a single show, to get a part," said Ms Womack. "This sum was named by a specific individual, but I will not name him, because I greatly respect him," the paper quoted her as saying.

Related.

Womack added that she was not paid or compensated for a number of performances at all, while told that it will improve her reputation as a dancer. Womack said that Filin's former deputy Ruslan Pronin was aware of the situation.

Related.

It is not the first scandal to rock the theater, and it is not likely to be the last. When we spoke in January, hardly a week had passed since the theater’s artistic director, Sergei Filin, had acid thrown in his face, allegedly by a rival dancer who is now on trial. “He did right by me,” Womack told me at the time, referring to the director who had given her a chance. “And I can do right by supporting him. Not necessarily that I owe that to him, but I definitely feel like you don’t bite the hand that’s feeding you.” They seemed like the words of a cunning survivor, but not of the delicate creatures she often portrayed on stage.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

The Nutmeg Ballet gears up for the holiday season.

In anticipation of Nutcracker performances, a dedicated group of volunteers carefully unloaded the treasured Nutcracker set redesigned in 1996 by Campbell Baird into a warehouse space where various items will be lovingly restored and repaired. The warehouse space was made available thanks to the generous support of East Side Electric and Lee Carter whose daughter Macie will be performing in the production.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet gets funding for building renovations and repairs.

The Government of Canada is providing funding of $1,008,800 through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage. This program seeks to improve physical conditions for artistic creativity and arts presentations or exhibitions. It is also designed to increase access for Canadians to performing, visual, and media arts, and to museum collections and heritage displays.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Q&A with Marcelo Gomes.

Q: Let's talk about José [Manuel Carreno). You're coming all the way out here for this gala. You obviously have great respect and admiration for him. What would you say was his contribution to ballet?

A: José was a huge influence both on other male dancers and on me. People talk about his legacy in legendary terms: "do you remember when José ... ?" I will always admire José because he came from Cuba, as I admire Julio Bocca because he came from Argentina. It was very difficult to be noticed if you came from a Latin American school. Those men did it, they became stars, and it was such an unbelievable feeling sharing the stage with them, and learning how to prepare a role, and how to partner. As did the Russians, the Latins have left their mark on American ballet, they have charisma and showmanship. They make an audience feel welcome.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

An interview with Sylvie Guillem.

You went from being the youngest-ever étoile at the Paris Opera Ballet to being a guest principal at the Royal Ballet, and now you’re entirely freelance. What led you to make those decisions?

For me, the Paris Opera Ballet was not only a company but also something like an institution offering safety on many levels. There are lots of advantages there that some of those people are looking for. When I left that huge institution, I also left behind all the safety, the comforts and the advantages it offered. So it was a big step.

However, if I had stayed there I would have had to compromise so much that my life would not have been mine anymore. It would have been like giving my life to the Paris Opera Ballet. What I care about is taking my own life in my hands, so that I make my own decisions for myself and take responsibility for what I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):