This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Joy Womack has left the Bolshoialleges corruption

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#271 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

In April Joy Womack was awarded the Second Prize as well as a Special Prize for "creative individuality" at the «Arabesque 2014» competition in Perm.

Having read her monologue that appeared in Russian «Esquire» and the interview with her on the eve of her debut as Gamzatti last March in Kazan (with excellent Kristina Andreeva dancing Nikiya's part), I must say I am truly impressed by Joy's eloquence and personality. Extraordinary for somebody so young and a dancer at that!

#272 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Joy Womack's latest interview: http://sessions.clou...iew-joy-womack/ Very interesting interview, still contradictory in her statements, but much more poised than her media blitz last fall. Interesting that she says her original interview to the press was released by someone else and not her. Hard to see how an interview can be done by someone else unless they were impersonating you... Very strange. But wish all the best to Joy. Seems like she is much happier now.

#273 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

From the interview,

Why did you decide to go public, given that it would put such a big target on you and your career?
I wasn’t going to go public with it until I left the theatre and like, 5 years had passed! But a woman who knew my story, who was in the same dressing room as me, found out I was going on a tour for a week without internet. And she gave my interview to a Russian newspaper and they published it.

She pretended to be you?
No necessarily pretended to be me. She did it out of the kindness of her heart. She really loved me, and she watched me struggle for a year. And she was in support of a person who was being wrongly accused. It was the time when Filin was going to give his testimony for the trial and she was like, “well this will be a curve ball to throw at the Filin crew. Joy’s story needs to be told.” And she was told me I had to go to the press until I made things okay and safe. Because it was really a dangerous time. I was fearing for my life. So this woman went to the press.

So I get back from tour, I get on the metro, and there’s my picture blown up on the tabloids. It was so scary. I was being followed. And that was when I decided I needed to set the record straight with the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times.

She's not clear about what happened, but that's fairly standard from all of her interviews.  Of course it's her prerogative to drop bombs like that she was afraid for her life and not elucidate, leaving underlying accusations in their wake, or being vague long after she had time to sort the narrative. The only things that are clear from this interview are that her dressing room mate, partly in order to defend the (unnamed) accused by shaking up the Filin trial, went to the press with Womack's story, and that Womack feels she did it out of love and concern for Womack, who feared for her life.  (It isn't clear why she felt targeted specifically, when there was such a rift in the company and so many Dmitrichenko supporters.)  Whether the woman handed over a fake interview using things or versions of things Womack had said, or things this woman observed and put in interview form, or the press turned what the woman told them into an interview, etc. isn't told.

What she does say clearly is that she didn't choose to go public, but after the story was leaked and broke while she was on tour and not connected to the internet, and the Russian tabloids followed her after she returned from tour, she decided to speak to the LA Times and NYT.

#274 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

This thing sounds now weirdest than ever.  Now her original "interview" wasn't an interview, but a story given to the press by a third person, without the knowledge and consent of its owner and then made into an interview.  I don't recall reading about Womack declaring nothing on this matter originally.  To be honest, the whole thing seems to me yet another advised damage control strategy.

#275 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

The chapter Bolshoi appears almost closed, the pictures show Joy now with little dogs and little children and her main mission in the world - for now - is to raise money for a cancer-ridden teacher. These are all very smart moves. That they are also quite "transparent" is a different story.

The teacher in question is Vasily Vorokhobko, a repetiteur at the Bolshoi Ballet, and she began raising money for his cancer treatment in September, before any of the brouhaha surrounding her departure.

Sadly, Vasily Vorokhobko has died. The Bolshoi has announced that his funeral will take place on Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):