This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wednesday, November 6

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sergei Filin takes the stand.

The Guardian

As Dmitrichenko continued to ask questions about supposed conflicts between Filin and other employees at the theatre, Filin became flustered and irate, at one point breaking into falsetto to impersonate Veronika Sanadze, the head of the ballet office at the theatre, with whom Dmitrichenko alleged he had a dispute. Filin said the conflict had been manipulated by Dmitrichenko, who had seized on it "like Batman" to organise other dancers into a plot against him.

The Washington Post

Filin, now 43, told his story for more than an hour before Judge Yelena Maximova or the prosecutor asked a single question. As artistic director, he assigned roles that could vault a dancer to stardom — or relegate him or her to the provinces. Never, he said, had he taken a bribe in return for assigning a role, despite speculation after he was injured that the Bolshoi was a nest of favoritism, corruption and plots for revenge.

The Los Angeles Times

“I will not forgive anybody for what happened,” Filin, 43, said firmly without looking toward the cage that held the three defendants, Pavel Dmitrichenko, 29, a leading Bolshoi ballet soloist who is charged with masterminding the plan, and two men who have been indicted for carrying it out.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

More stories on Filin's testimony.

RT

“I forgive no one for what has happened to me, no one,”Filin stressed.

He said he wants 3 million rubles ($92,700) as a compensation for moral damages, and 508 thousand rubles ($15,700) for the material harm. 

The Telegraph

But in perhaps the most remarkable development of the day, Mr Dmitrichenko appeared to seek a reconciliation.

"I take moral responsibility for what happened to you, but I didn't ask anyone to do what happened to you. I take moral responsibility," he said from the cage.

Reuters

Filin said he had undergone 23 operations on his face and eyes, including in Germany, and more were planned. One on his right eye was due later this month. The judge relieved him from further appearances in the trial which continues on Thursday.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

A review of Carlos Acosta's "Pig's Foot" by Neil Norman in The Daily Express.

While the similarity of the names and the repetition of events sometimes make it hard to follow, Oscar's occasional intrusions into the narrative remind us that this might not be the most reliable of memoirs.

Admitting that he has jumped several decades in the last quarter of the book he declares that nothing relevant happened to his family in the intervening time. "Besides," he adds, "I'm the narrator and I don't feel like talking about it."

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker gets in on the Twitter thing.

The mother of three mysteriously opted for an extreme close up of an eye as her profile picture.

The Sex and The City star tweeted: ‘@SJP Very 1st tweet. Proud to share my new series city.ballet. on AOL On. @NYCballet dancers = extraordinary!’

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

A review of Northern Ballet in "A Christmas Carol" by Louise Levene in The Telegraph.

Three acts is possibly a little overgenerous, but [Christopher] Gable made sure that the characters are quickly established and the story clearly told. Ballet mime is a surprisingly flexible language, but is probably best left to the classics. Jacob Marley miming “You will be visited by three spirits” could easily be mistaken for a game of charades and so this key plot-point is conveyed via voiceover. Otherwise Moricone uses pure dance to shape character, develop the narrative and embody the story’s themes of good fellowship and rejuvenation.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Daniel Ulbricht's troupe of NYCB dancers visit Texas.

Every year the group tries to do something 'Texan' before heading back to New York City.

Today happens to be "National Nacho Day,"  and we wanted to be good neighbors, with the help of our friends at the Jalapeno Tree, by serving nachos, complete with jalapenos, to the dancers.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

José Manuel Carreño talks about his plans for San Jose Ballet.

"One of the things I criticized when I got here was everything was so local," Carreño says. "I want to make things international. So the focus this year is to bring a different kind of choreography, a different kind of style." The roster of U.N.-flavored works will include the likes of Israeli Ohad Naharin and France's Roland Petit. Latino choreographers such as Argentina's Jorge Amarante and Venezuelan Vicente Nebrada will have their Grapa Tango and Nuestros Valses, respectively, performed in March.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):