This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Leaving the Theatre during a performance

I was wondering what the situation is concerning dancers leaving the theatre before the final curtain. If it was a mixed bill of more than one ballet, would the principal dancers if in say the first two works be allowed to leave before the final curtain. Or would their attendance be required that they stay right until the end.to comply with the hours they need to work. Although I should know this having worked with The Royal Ballet I cannot remember what was the norm. Please jog my memory. Thanks.

I'm not sure why dancers of any rank who aren't in the final curtain calls, covering, or with another obligation (post-performance Q&A, gala party) would need to stay after their last ballet. I would think companies would want the dancers to get as much rest as possible instead of staying around the theater, unless they wanted to watch their peers, since many describe that it takes them hours to come down from a performance, and they still have to be back in class the next morning.