• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

According to an email from the Washington Ballet, the dancers in the featured roles for Giselle will be:

Giselle                    Albrecht                        Hilarion                   Myrtha

----------                   -----------                       ----------                  ---------

Oct. 30                       Maki Onuki             Brooklyn Mack              Jared Nelson          Aurora Dickie

Oct. 31                       Maki Onuki             Brooklyn Mack              Jared Nelson          Aurora Dickie

Nov. 1                       Ayano Kimuri          Jonathan Jordan           Corey Landolt        Sona Kharatian

Nov. 2  (mat)             Aurora Dickie           Tamas Krizsa                 Jared Nelson      Kateryna Derechyna

Nov. 2  (eve)              Maki Onuki             Brooklyn Mack               Jared Nelson          Aurora Dickie

Nov. 3 (mat)            Ekaterina Oleynik    Hyun-Woong Kim            Jared Nelson          Morgann Rose

Nov. 3 (eve)             Ayano Kimuri          Jonathan Jordan           Corey Landolt        Sona Kharatian

#2 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

The casting schedule highlights a difference between D.C. and Colorado that I'm having trouble adjusting to: the preference for weeknight performances over Sunday performances. The WB has scheduled their best dancers for both the Wednesday and Thursday evening performances but only has them in 1 of the 5 weekend performances - Saturday evening - while the Sunday matinee has dancers who don't usually dance featured roles. Similarly, the Baltimore Symphony and National Symphony normally play Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and rarely have Sunday concerts. With the Colorado Ballet, the 'A' cast generally dances on both Friday and Saturday evenings and almost never in the few weeknight performances, and either the 'A' or 'B' cast dances in the Sunday matinees. The Colorado Symphony almost never has a weeknight concert unless it's a special, one night-only event.

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

The first performance will get the greatest review coverage.  Apparently, WB's casting gods figure that those who read a (presumably glowing) review of the first cast will pick up any unsold tickets for the Saturday evening. 

#4 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

I attended the sold-out Saturday evening performance (which caused me to be stuck with the worst seat in the house: the back corner of the balcony). I was a little disappointed. While Maki Onuki did a fine job as Giselle (I didn't see the flaws that the Washington Post reviewer mentioned), the other 2 featured dancers left me a little flat. Perhaps this was due to my distance from and elevation above the stage. They both seemed to me to be somewhat wooden, Brooklyn Mack (Albrecht) more than Aurora Dickie (Myrtha). Albrecht came across as neither princely (in the opening scene) nor like a man who's just fallen in love.

It didn't help that it was next to my seat (on the outside aisle) that the ushers let latecomers stand so that I had a crowd of people standing next to me for the last 30 minutes of the first act (there must have been some people who thought that the show started at 8:00 rather than 7:30).

#5 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I made my second trip on Sunday evening. I enjoyed this performance much more (was it just because my seat was on the main floor?). Jonathan Jordan was a much more convincing Albrecht. Kateryna Derechyna, subbing as Myrtha, was almost frightening as a cold-blooded, remorseless Queen of the Wilis (I suppose that it's hard to feel remorse when you're dead).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):