This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tsis­karidze & Lopatk­ina at the Vag­an­ova Bal­let Academy

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#46 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I thought Tsiskaridze was a student of Peter Pestov??

#47 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

He was, though once he began working at the Bolshoi Theater, he was taken under the wing of Marina Semionova. His coach was Nikolai Fadeyechev.

#48 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

No subtitles, but here is Tsiskaridze on Pestov.

Part 1 of the feature is here:

#49 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Again, no subtitles, but here is Tsiskaridze on Semionova.

#50 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

This time about Tsiskaridze as teacher, with lots of references to Semionova.

#51 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Strangely, I get a strong feeling it might not be the school itself that created the page. I know Google Translate isn't perfect, but is it likely that an institution's official page would link to articles strongly critical of new leadership?

[Admin note:  Anyone can create a Facebook page and call it what they like.  Until there is a statement from the school that the new site calling itself "Vaganova Academy" and created in the last 24 hours is, indeed, an official page of the Vaganova Academy, links to it and info from it are unofficial sources and will be removed.]

#52 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

All ballet schools in Russia use the Vaganova system AFAIK, therefore certainly Tsiskaridze and Lopatkina would have been trained according to the same principles. However, if Tsiskaridze's comments about the Mariinsky/Vaganova Academy "graveyard" are true, he probably will be looking to revolutionize things and break from tradition.  Lopatkina would see herself as the custodian of the purest fount of the Vaganova school.  Mr. Tsiskaridze being her boss and having authority over her would make her position more untenable if they have fundamental differences in their interpretation of what constitutes proper Vaganova schooling.  Both are strong-willed, are big stars with large egos but with very different personal styles.  I cannot see Lopatkina submitting herself to Tsiskaridze easily.

I also wonder about Vishneva's comment about the rector of the school having good morals since that person must interact with children.  That comment must reflect on Tsiskaridze since he is now the rector and Vishneva is criticizing his appointment.  We have heard reports of his manipulating the dancers he coached at the Bolshoi (i.e. Anzhelina Vorontsova).  There were criticisms of his teaching skills and personal ethics as a coach at the Bolshoi. 

#53 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

He has enemies in Russia that are media savvy, he seemed to have been well liked when he taught in Paris.

#54 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Teaching in Paris and being the Rector of the Vaganova school are very different things. As far as being media-savvy, Tsiskaridze had his own TV show/platform -- I don't know if ths is possible with his new position and has been the "go-to" interview/comments on TV and in print.

As far as the "graveyard" of the Vaganova/Mariinsky, again, Pawlick's book is illuminating. I wouldn't assume the details of what Tsiskaridze means by this until he makes them clear.

#55 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Dorofeeva is now talking to the presses:

http://www.ismeneb.c...n_a_school.html

Dorofeeva now saying that Tsiskaridze's appointment will "combine both" the position of Rector and AD. 

#56 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

After many critical appraisals of Tsiskaridze's appointment, Yulia Makhalina has given him her support. "I fully and completely support Kolya, because I know that he is fanatically devoted to art, very educated and demanding of himself, and his service to Terpsichore cannot be doubted for a second." She also added: "The appointment of Tsiskaridze was the government's decision, right? If the government appointed Kolya, then it knows what it's doing." However, she is also struck by the sudden nature of the change, and disagrees with the decision to replace Asylmuratova with Lopatkina in light of the fact that Lopatkina is still performing actively. She refuses to venture a guess about whether the Vaganova staff will vote to approve Tsiskaridze's appointment, but she believes they ought to assist him rather than going to war against him.

http://izvestia.ru/news/559897

#57 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

I didn't realize the staff would have to agree to his appointment.  I thought they were stuck with whatever the Culture Ministry/government decided to do.

#58 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Now we find out how good Tsiskaridze is at diplomacy.

#59 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I didn't realize the staff would have to agree to his appointment.  I thought they were stuck with whatever the Culture Ministry/government decided to do.

Some articles said that the rector's appointment would mean that all of the staff of the Vaganova's contracts would expire and be up to the rector to renew. So ... they can agree to this appointment, or be dismissed, or resign.

#60 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Some articles said that the rector's appointment would mean that all of the staff of the Vaganova's contracts would expire and be up to the rector to renew. So ... they can agree to this appointment, or be dismissed, or resign.

Appointment as in nomination?  Then, that sounds like a sentence Orwell could have written.  If it means approved appointment, then if they don't approve he would have nothing to say about their contracts, unless the next approved Rector was a puppet.  If they don't succeed in blocking his approval, then he could retaliate by refusing to renew their contracts.

She also added: "The appointment of Tsiskaridze was the government's decision, right? If the government appointed Kolya, then it knows what it's doing."

Right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):