• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#16 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

A least Assylmuratova was able to oversee her daughter's graduation from the Academy this past June & subsequent appointment to the MT corps de ballet. A nice way for AA to end her years as heard of the ARB.

I don't know anything about the interior processes at the school, but looking from the outside I would think a nicer way would have been for her to make her own decision about when/how to retire.

I agree! Especially since she's ONLY 52!!!

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Plus the rushed nature of this transition is very weird. They could have told Asylmuratova that this would be her last year as A.D. of the Vaganova and she would get to finish the 2013-14 graduating class. But this sounds very much like both the rector and A.D. were told "not to come back on Monday."

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Me, I can't wait to hear what ismene Brown has tosay about all this. It's probably much more than we can imagine, coming from non-artistic interest-groups -- coming from Putin down, and Tsiskaridze has made many contacts with relatives of Putin's advisors.

If there's 8 ounces to the pound of truth in this report:

http://ismeneb.com/B...shoi_chief.html,

then the real question may be, can Gergiev-the-empire-builder keep his position with Tsiskaridze in town? Since Putin doesn't care about art at all, and Tsiskaridze is a master-intriguer....

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Plus the rushed nature of this transition is very weird. They could have told Asylmuratova that this would be her last year as A.D. of the Vaganova and she would get to finish the 2013-14 graduating class. But this sounds very much like both the rector and A.D. were told "not to come back on Monday."

I know that these kind of changes happen very differently in different places, but even with that caveat, this seems really awkward

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

According to Ismene Brown's latest blog:

http://ismeneb.com/B...ng_options.html

Rector Dorofeeva submitted her resignation and has been hired by Kehkman as Deputy Director of the Mikhailovsky Ballet.  Asylmuratova has not yet submitted her resignation.   According to this article and a related blog entry with a translation of an interview with Tsiskaridze (dated 28 October), he had already spoken with Ministry of Culture in September 2012.  Tsiskaridze's specialty in law school is Employment Law.

#21 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks, Helene!! That was quick!

Yes, Sandi: "I know that these kind of changes happen very differently in different places, but even with that caveat, this seems really awkward"

Well, it IS convenient for Tsiskaridze, since the same Tuesday he starts his job he was supposed to testify in Moscow at the trial of dmitrichenko, who's up [let me remind you] for throwing acid in the face of Filin which many think he was incited to do by Tsiskaridze. Dostoyevskian.

There's a opera in this. But who could write the music?

#22 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

"But who would write the music?"

Isn't it forgone?: Gergiev

#23 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

If it's any consolation (minor to be sure) I don't think Mr Tsiskaridze will sate his ambitions by taking on this post.  He won't be there long, this just a stepping stone to bigger things. 

Can anyone confirm the usual timeline for law studies in Russia?  In the US  it takes 3 years, plus passing the bar exam.  I don't know what the normal length of study is for Russian attorneys.  

Here's hoping the departing leaders and instructors (because I assume not all will last the coming year) will find better pastures at other less politically strafed institutions.  I think the dancers will have more traditional curriculum, favoring Grigorovich works, but the core of the Vagonova training will be the same.  I still don't think this change will cure what ills the Mariinsky Theatre.  

#24 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

#25 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Stanislav Belyayevsky, a teacher at the Vaganova who has published some lovely coffee table books of the Academy, has put out a strong statement on his public Facebook page:

DEAR GRADUATES of the ACADEMY of RUSSIAN BALLET! DEAR TEACHERS! 
I think that among you there is no one who would agree with the opinion on the appointment of the Rector of Nikolay Tsiskaridze (in other words "experienced Manager") of the Academy of Russian Ballet! 
Tell you a short anecdote, which I was a witness, describing the attitude of this beautiful Russian artist (in the past) to our St. Petersburg alma mater: "once upon a time, a beautiful November morning, the Bolshoi Theatre, I visited the lesson of classical dance, which gave the Artist and educator Nikolay Maksimovich. Except for me, of our famous schools named after a. Vaganova, this lesson was attended by Yevgenia Obraztsova, Mikhail Lobuhin, Philip Stepin, Elena evseeva, as well as wonderful performers of the Bolshoi Theatre, including his student (at the time), Denis Rodkin. His pedagogical talent n.m. sent his apprentice, with sharp, witty phrases. One very bright crashed into my memory. Nicholas didn't like how demi plié, as Denis and pointing at us, he said: "If you are not correct, it will be similar to those with" vagankovo cemetery ".
A joke? A year passes and he our walls will take on raising kids.
Dear graduates, dear teachers! write, if you are of another opinion. If there are any among you who support this nomination, I will be truly surprised

His page has also been filled with his own personal photos of Asylmuratova teaching students. 

#26 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Stanislav Belyayevsky, a teacher at the Vaganova who has published some lovely coffee table books of the Academy, has put out a strong statement on his public Facebook page:

DEAR GRADUATES of the ACADEMY of RUSSIAN BALLET! DEAR TEACHERS! 
I think that among you there is no one who would agree with the opinion on the appointment of the Rector of Nikolay Tsiskaridze (in other words "experienced Manager") of the Academy of Russian Ballet! 
Tell you a short anecdote, which I was a witness, describing the attitude of this beautiful Russian artist (in the past) to our St. Petersburg alma mater: "once upon a time, a beautiful November morning, the Bolshoi Theatre, I visited the lesson of classical dance, which gave the Artist and educator Nikolay Maksimovich. Except for me, of our famous schools named after a. Vaganova, this lesson was attended by Yevgenia Obraztsova, Mikhail Lobuhin, Philip Stepin, Elena evseeva, as well as wonderful performers of the Bolshoi Theatre, including his student (at the time), Denis Rodkin. His pedagogical talent n.m. sent his apprentice, with sharp, witty phrases. One very bright crashed into my memory. Nicholas didn't like how demi plié, as Denis and pointing at us, he said: "If you are not correct, it will be similar to those with" vagankovo cemetery ".
A joke? A year passes and he our walls will take on raising kids.
Dear graduates, dear teachers! write, if you are of another opinion. If there are any among you who support this nomination, I will be truly surprised

His page has also been filled with his own personal photos of Asylmuratova teaching students. 

Correction: that statement was not made by Belyaevsky. He was reposting Yuri Smekalov's post. Yuri was the one who witnessed that event.

#27 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

"But who would write the music?"

Isn't it forgone?: Gergiev

Touché.  Only, Gergiev isn't a composer.  I'd say Rodion Shchedrin has the right audial cadence for this soundtrack. 

It looks like the only outlet for dissent on this matter is social media (for now).  You have to tread carefully where you post, what you post, how you post and against whom. 

Marc Haegeman interviewed Altynai on 11/16/01.  I think one of the most telling sections of the interview is that she didn't ask for the position:  The faculty requested that she take it. 

http://www.for-balle...ylmuratova.html

Cela dit tout.

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Judith Mackrell weighed in for "The Guardian":

Fired Bolshoi dance Nikolai Tsiskaridze gets controversial new job:  Star's appointment to head up the prestigious Vaganova dance academy raises stark questions about the future of Russian ballet

and the content and the headline match.

Dmitirichenko should be cheering, since Tsiskaridze will likely get out of testifying, although I don't know why he is testifying, and I would not be surprised if this was part of the reason for the timing now and if Dmitrichenko's case were to be swept under the rug.

#29 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

I hope ABT would swoop in and hire Asylmuratova & Zaklinksy as ballet master/mistress and to run JKO.

#30 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

that would be a major steal!  Or get them to coach at ABT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):