This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who is your favorite Odette/Odile?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:25 AM

Maya Plisetskaya (on tape)

(Live)
Altynai Asylmuratova
Daria Pavlenko
Olga Thyentchikova
Natalia Makarova
Cynthia Gregory
Dame Merle Park

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

You've seen Asylmuratova live, Cygnet? Details please! :thumbsup:

#18 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:07 AM

You've seen Asylmuratova live, Cygnet?  Details please! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Hans! Search 'Altynai Asylmuratova,' then click to page 3 and the "Backstage at the Kirov" thread :wub:.

#19 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:31 AM

The last time she came to New York with the Kirov, I saw her in Giselle, Sleeping Beauty (1890) and Fountain of Bakchisarai. Before that I had seen her in Swan Lake.

#20 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

Antoinette Sibley is the greatest I've seen live..... the freest, most imaginative, most classical, and most beautiful.

It must be said that she had an uncanny sensitivity to Anthny DOwell, who was her partner. Their rapport was so strong you could feel them communicating when their backs were turned to each other. Each had a cool demeanor, but they were attuned like twins, they managed to suggest impossible love in almost every dimension. So the two of them made a single thing, and I can't mention her without including him.

#21 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

... they were attuned like twins, they managed to suggest impossible love in almost every dimension. So the two of them made a single thing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never had the good fortune to see their Swan Lake, but your words describe their Giselle! I was new to ballet and was disappointed when I read the casting. I'd expected Nureyev. Instead, Perfection.

#22 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

Live: Ulyana Lopatkina

on tape: Yulia Makhalina, Galina Mezentzeva

#23 mohnurka

mohnurka

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'm with you, Silvy! I'd just add Plisetskaya (though I haven't seen her live).

#24 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

Live : Daria Pavlenko
Agnès Letestu (for her Odette mostly)

But I haven't had a chance to see so many Odette/Odile. I'm supposed to see Marie-Agnès Gillot from the POB in early January - maybe a future favourite of mine as well.

#25 Evelio Sierra

Evelio Sierra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:58 AM

I realize this may be a tough question to answer since few ballerinas have the technical and dramatic abilities to dance both roles successfully.

My favorite Odette is Natalia Makarova. No other ballerina I've seen has captured the pathos of the character or brought out the poetry of Ivanov's choreography more eloquently than her. Some may not like her swan mannerisms, but to me they're exquisite.

I've yet to see the perfect Odile. Plisetskaya acted and danced the role to the hilt, so she's probably my first choice. Makarova would be a close second, even though she didn't project Odile's wickedness as effectively as Plisetskaya.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favorite Odile/Odette was Alicia Alonso, and I should mention also her Giselle, because Alicia was born to prevent Giselle's death.

#26 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Evelio.

I notice that you are from Miami. I hope that you will introduce yourself on the "Welcome" forum and that you'll be able to share with us your impressions, reviews, etc., of Miami City Ballet, Maximum/Gamonet, and other groups in the south Flroida dance community.

#27 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

The Feb. 2006 issue of Dance Magazine has quite a spread on Swan Lake, including an article on several different complete versions due for premiers this season: Victoria Morgan's at Cincinnati, Stanton Welch's at Houston, and Christopher Stowell's at Oregon Ballet Theatre.

There are also some fascinating comments on performing the Odette-Odile role by a number of ballerinas:

Yuan Yuan Tan (SF Ballet), who advises studying videos for ideas that suit your body.
Irina Dvorovenko (ABT), who feels the urge to cry in the last act.
Uliana Lopatkina (Kirov): "some people say that my Odile lacks eroticism, temptation, black magic. But that wouldn't be me. Evil is more dangeerous when concealed."
Svetlana Zakharova (Bolshoi); "In St. Peterburg I was taught to show Odile as a bright, beautiful seductress. But in the Bolshoi's version, Odile is more mysterious, more secretive and deceiving."
Karen Kain (National Ballet of Canada): "As a partner, Nureyev, with his emotional generosity, forced me to look into his eyes and believe in the moment."
Lauren Anderson (Houston): "When you finish the ballet, you feel like you'[ve been hit bya truck and then it backs over you two more times. But it's satisfying."
Evelyn Hart (Royal Winnepeg)
Cynthia Gregory (ABT): :) "Think about what you want to do with the role and who you want to be. And then put that out of your head and just work on getting the technique as pure and clean as possible. And then onstage, those thoughts from before will come through in your dancing."
and Wendy Whelan (NYCB): "The Balanchine one-act version is the Reader's Digest version and you don't have to have that dark side. In the Martins version, you have to develop that. It's a marathon versus a spring."

As of this date, there's nothing on the website about this issue.

#28 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

Mmm...tough question. Need some time to think about it... :dry:

#29 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

Favorite Odettes: Natalia Markarova and Nina Aniashvilli.

Favorite Odiles: Cynthia Gregory and Nina Aniashvilli

#30 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

Definitely Cynthia Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):