17 replies to this topic

#16 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

I heard the Sirius broadcast in 2010, and the broadcast a few weeks ago, and loved both, and bought a ticket for the HD showing, but was invited elsewhere and had to miss it. Gergiev's recording of the opera is on Spotify.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to it -- the clips I've seen were fascinating. 

But if it isn't to your taste musically, once through for the staging would probably be more than enough.

#18 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

1-Would I buy a CD to have it at home...?
2-Would I play such CD in my car to listen to while driving..?

For your questions to be meaningful for me, you would have to substitute the acronym DVD for CD. With that change, my answer would be YES.

Perhaps more interesting is the reason I feel this way. It has nothing to do with the visuals and staging of this particular production (altho I did very much like these elements of this production), but rather it has to do with what I find so moving and powerful in opera as an art form. For me, opera is the magic that happens when the music, words, story, and emotions of the character blend into a series of moments that transport me, inside my own being, with a power that any one of those 4 elements can not do on their own. That's why I say DVD. For opera to be opera for me, I need to feel what the character is feeling. The words tell me intellectually what is occurring (I'm assuming super-titles here); the acting of the singer display visually before me what is occurring in the world of the character; the quality of the singing expresses in the human voice the emotions of the character (indeed that is what I most appreciate in a great singer); and best of all, this all happens in the music (orchestra) at the very same moment. It is that marriage that I love so much.

A CD, altho nice, only conveys a portion of an opera. If I speak the language (so I know the words), then a CD can come close; but few of us, and certainly not me, speak Russian. But even if I know the words, a CD still misses the acting of the singer, and the story itself is limited by lack of sets, costumes, props, and the like.

If I know an opera very well (say, The Ring), then a CD can come close since I pretty much know what the singer is saying because I recognize what is being said from where we are in the music; and I already have visual images in my head of the staging (and often even a singers facial expressions) from previous productions I have seen. But in this case, I had never seen The Nose, nor had I ever heard the music of Shostakovitch that I remember. For me this was all brand new, so a CD just won't cut it. Even a DVD would have its failings. But I would love to see this opera again.....especially live in an actual performing theater......be it this production or another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):