• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

The fall reason at State Theater will be in September, 2014 preceding NYCB fall season.  The only thing I know is they'll bring Alice in Wonderland.  So it could be Alice plus some mixed rep programs or Alice with Ratmansky's R&J, or Alice, R&J, and a mixed rep.  I'd like to see Ratmansky's R&J, hope they'll bring it along with Alice.

#2 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't believe they have plans to bring anything other than Alice.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this -- I think they should bring a wider variety of work.

#4 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this -- I think they should bring a wider variety of work.

easier said than done. Alice is an enormous production to ship and therefore expensive. So is Romeo. Also, it's not always up to the company. The presenter often specifies what program they want.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

A good chance to save money. Total waste of Wheeldon's (and a lot of dancers') talents.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I understand the economics of touring (one of the reasons why Pacific Northwest Ballet took an evening of Balanchine works to City Center last winter, along with their set-heavy Romeo and Juliette).  But I know there are people who, for whatever reason, aren't interested in seeing the Wheeldon Alice -- if the company isn't dancing anything else during their run, those people will not see them at all.

#7 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I understand the economics of touring (one of the reasons why Pacific Northwest Ballet took an evening of Balanchine works to City Center last winter, along with their set-heavy Romeo and Juliette).  But I know there are people who, for whatever reason, aren't interested in seeing the Wheeldon Alice -- if the company isn't dancing anything else during their run, those people will not see them at all.

Judging by the sold-out houses for Alice in LA, there are a lot of people who DO want to see Alice, and the presenters are eager to have it. Saratoga wanted it but it couldn't be put on their stage.
Toronto's only an hour from NY by air; people could come and see NBOC here. (I want to put a smiley in here but for some reason the smiley menu is greyed out.)

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

How often does the company get to NYC?

#9 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'll be disappointed if Alice is all they'll bring.  They are right next door, it's not like they need to move the sets across oceans and over mountains, plus many mixed reps need minimal or no sets.

#10 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Deja vu... Oddly, the last time I saw National Ballet of Canada in NYC, they were doing Alice... But it was the Tetley/Del Tredici version....

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Of course, families with little kids will go see Alice...not balletomanes, especially since the commercial DVD exists and it is known, ahead of time, how little true ballet there is in it. The sad thing for balletomanes is that so many wonderful dancers will be missed because no true ballet is being scheduled. Money is too tight for the average balletomane to waste $$$ to see a top Canadian ballerina do real extended dancing for 5 minutes. Give us a mixed bill of Balanchine classics or the Ratmansky R&J. Not kiddie stuff in a lighting effects show.

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Deja vu... Oddly, the last time I saw National Ballet of Canada lice in NYC, they were doing Alice... But it was the Tetley/Del Tredici version....

PNB used to do that one too -- does anyone still perform it?

#13 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I loved that version of Alice--I remember it's depth and wit. --- just a comment!

#14 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

The Tetley/Del Tredici version of Alice was a true ballet with extended dancing, as I recall.

I know that companies have to break even, so 'family entertainment' above-and-beyond Nutcracker is necessary to keep the coffers full. However, NYC is such a ballet-savvy city, that these kid shows don't cut it. For kid stuff beyond holiday Nutcrackers, there's Disney on Ice at Madison Square Garden.

#15 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

[No mention of lice intended, that was a virtual keyboard tyypo artifact.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):