This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

MCB Program IBallo de la Regina, Serenade, Polyphonia

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Starting tomorrow at the Arsht Center...

Why didn't they scheduled "Polyphonia" the last...?  mad.gif

Anyhow...I'll be there and back to report. tiphat.gif

Logo.png
PROGRAM I: FIRST VENTURES
October 18 - November 17
Miami, Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach, FL

Miami City Ballet's season opener features the company premiere of Christopher Wheeldon's breakthrough contemporary work, Polyphonia, along with two entrancing Balanchine ballets - Serenade, his first masterpiece created in America, and Ballo della Regina, hailed by The New York Times as a "bounding test of technique and endurance."

Ballo Della Regina (Balanchine/Verdi)
Polyphonia (Wheeldon/Ligeti) - Company Premiere
Serenade (Balanchine/Tchaikovsky)

#2 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

They know many would leave after the Balanchine! You know that! LOL 

#3 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I actually think that Serenade makes a great closer. It's such a powerful piece that it can overwhelm the remaining items on the program (even two that are as good as this). 

Also - looking forward to hearing about it. I desperately wish I could go.

#4 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Why didn't they scheduled "Polyphonia" the last...?  mad.gif

Maybe somebody in charge of that was in the grips of that rule that says, put the "difficult" item in the middle, after an attractive, accessible opener, and they'll stay to see what the last one is like.

I actually think that Serenade makes a great closer. 

Agreed.  Especially the way it lifts off into eternity, if you want to see it that way, at the end.  On the other hand, not a bad opener, either, depending on what you've got to close with; it shows ordinary movement becoming stylized and beautiful, with intimations early on - hunh? she's late? - that "there's something funny here", "something's coming" that's not just beautiful.  We're set up, and we're knocked over, and we're transported.  A beginning for a life - not merely an evening - of watching ballet - this is what it's all about.  

IIRC, MCB opened with as vital performance of Serenade as I can remember a few years ago, and on short notice too, when they had a rash of injuries among the principal men.  But given these three ballets, their order isn't so bad, IMHO; little Ballo as a closer?.

With luck, I'll see the program in Fort Lauderdale.  (You have my sympathy, Swanilda8.) 

#5 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Jack, do you remember, didn't Suzanne Farrell Ballet close with Serenade during their Kennedy Center run in 2004? It seems more like an opening ballet to me, but I'd take it anywhere I could get it!

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think it is safe to guess they wanted the better known, most beautiful ballet as a safe closer so people-(like me)-doesn't make a quick exit trying to avoid the modern experiment of choice-(Polyphonia in this case).

Anyhow...I know I will be excited just thinking of "what's coming up next" during Wheeldon's...

#7 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Casting is up on the website, here: http://miamicityball.../NewsPDF558.pdf

Looks like each ballet gets two casts, with lots of opportunities among corps dancers. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Aha...so Albertson and Arja are the choices for "Ballo..", just as I had noticed during the rehearsal I witnessed.  Such a waste not to had the Delgado sisters do this...

#9 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Jack, do you remember, didn't Suzanne Farrell Ballet close with Serenade during their Kennedy Center run in 2004? It seems more like an opening ballet to me, but I'd take it anywhere I could get it!

No, I don't remember that, but according to a post by Alexandra, they planned to close a Tchaikovsky program with it in December 2003, but I can't find posts about, and don't remember, a 2004 season.  I do remember a considerable desert we fans of that troupe had to cross before we got another season around that time... 

#10 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

No, I don't remember that, but according to a post by Alexandra, they planned to close a Tchaikovsky program with it in December 2003, but I can't find posts about, and don't remember, a 2004 season.  I do remember a considerable desert we fans of that troupe had to cross before we got another season around that time... 

That's the program I was thinking of.

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

It looks like I may make it to Miami tonight after all...touch and go with work situation & airline. On a wing and a prayer.

BALLO is more upbeat and 'traditional,' which makes for good closers. POLYPHONIA will be the 'intellectual' piece...usually the middle work. SERENADE is, I think, a great starter - especially season starter - with the opening 'school moves' from the corps. Let's start at the very beginning... not that my thoughts matter one iota, as BALLO will begin the show in Miami & SERENADE will end.  smile.png

#12 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Aha...so Albertson and Arja are the choices for "Ballo..", just as I had noticed during the rehearsal I witnessed.  Such a waste not to had the Delgado sisters do this...

I looked through the casting and noticed both Delgado sisters were missing all together :(. Let's hope that whatever is ailing them or causing their absence ends quickly!

#13 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Stumbling around the MCB web site, looking for a little description or something that might help me have a little warm-up for Polyphonia (but not finding anything so far), I ran across Behind the Ballet, a free pre-performance event - different at different times - to run at Arsht.  Anybody going?  The latter two, with Merrill Ashley or Jason Fowler, look particularly interesting.

But up the coast, nothing?  I've been wondering whether Lopez would take over Villella's custom of introducing the program.

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Stumbling around the MCB web site, looking for a little description or something that might help me have a little warm-up for Polyphonia (but not finding anything so far), I ran across Behind the Ballet, a free pre-performance event - different at different times - to run at Arsht.  Anybody going?  The latter two, with Merrill Ashley or Jason Fowler, look particularly interesting.

But up the coast, nothing?  I've been wondering whether Lopez would take over Villella's custom of introducing the program.

DJ, cocktails, dancers in costume...wow...sound like fun!  I wish I would had checked this before to make arrangements to be there on time, but my companions tonight are already set up to go with me at a later time...sad.png

I would had gladly posed for red carpet flash flash for sure!!  happy.png

#15 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

Such a pleasure to see our Natasha at the Arsht Center..!!  happy.png flowers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):