This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

below is the NYPL cat. entry for the Dance in American program about THE GREEN TABLE - oddly the pianists are not credited, but the fact that soon-to-be-released video says the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago, a name that post-dates the Joffrey Ballet of the '82 telecast and the fact that pianists named in Kultur's promo/credits ring no bells w/ me from the Joffrey of the '80s leads me to suppose that this is a recent filming of THE GREEEN TABLE with the current co. and not a release of the formerly telecast production, etc.

<<

The green table: 1982. 57 min. : sd. color with b&w sequences
Notes : Telecast on the Great Performances: Dance in America series by WNET/13, New York on December 13, 1982. Producer: Judy Kinberg. Director: Emile Ardolino. Choreography and scenario: Kurt Jooss. Staged by Anna Markard. Music: F. A. Cohen. Costumes: Hein Heckroth. Masks: Hermann Markard. Performed by the Joffrey Ballet. Cast: Philip Jerry (Death), James Canfield (Standard bearer), Jerel Hilding (Old soldier), Mark Goldweber (Young soldier), Valmai Roberts (Mother), Beatriz Rodriguez (Woman), Carole Valleskey (Young girl), and Gary Chryst (Profiteer). Biographical profile of Kurt Jooss (last 15 min.) Written by Tobi Tobias, narrated by Michael Tolan, includes numerous still photographs and some film clips of other Jooss ballets, and brief excerpts from performances by the Tanzforum Cologne of Jooss' ballets The big city, Pavane on the death of an infanta, and A ball in old Vienna
>>

I got this for Christmas. It's excellent. But there are always minor quibbles (I'm comparing it to the telecast in the 80's, which I taped). My major gripe is the photography; close ups, "dramatic" angles, close ups. Jeez! It really detracts from the dancing and the story; I read that the scenes at the table were choreographes so that every face could be seen and some of that was lost. The dancing was great tho I thought the mother could have looked older, and the girl in the brothal could have been just a tad more reluctant. All of these are minor quibbles; I highly recomment the DVD..